Need advice for feeding aggression...

dunnmom

Crowing
Mar 30, 2016
Oklahoma
I have a young roo named Jaws who is working on his right to stay with the Bond girls. He was pretty aggressive until we rehomed the other roo we got out of the same hatch. He earned his moniker from clamping down on my finger one day, not intending to let go. He got disciplined pretty good for that by my husband who saw it happen. Now he mostly keeps to himself when I go into the run, and I know that’s probably how it should be.

But, when I bring their food, he tries to grab the cup or knock it from my grasp. Unfortunately, I think he may have picked up that bad habit from my hens who also get too impatient. How do I stop this behavior once and for all, so I don’t end up with dominance issues with Jaws?

Last edited:
Hold the feed above your head and don't give it to any of them till they stop.
Ok, that sounds easy enough. What if they do it while I’m pouring the food into their dish, like after? Sometimes my roo will not jump up, but wait for me to lower the cup and then grab the edge of it and try to pull it out of my hand. Is there something else I should do then? Should I “peck” him? Pick him up and hold him? What do you think would be effective without making an enemy of him?

Befor entering the pen grab a handful of feed and when you open the door toss the feed to one side and do what you have to do
That’s what I’ve been doing to try to distract them, but it doesn’t always work, because not all of them fall for it. I don’t know if they are smarter, or just smart-a**es.

I'm not sure I would hold it over my head, that would just give him a higher target.
If it were me (and when mine try to jump at the feed this is what I do), I would move the container to the side and give a grunting uh-uh. While doing that I gently move them out of my way with my foot as I continue to walk to the feeder. I never stop for them, never let them get their way.
Also, might want to change to a different container to fill the feeder or if possible take the feeder to your feed - fill it and then bring it back.
As well, change up your routine a bit so they are not expecting you to fill the feeder.

Ok, that sounds easy enough. What if they do it while I’m pouring the food into their dish, like after? Sometimes my roo will not jump up, but wait for me to lower the cup and then grab the edge of it and try to pull it out of my hand. Is there something else I should do then? Should I “peck” him? Pick him up and hold him? What do you think would be effective without making an enemy of him?
I put a little feed on the ground around the feeder. In your case, I would put it somewhere away from the feeder to get his attention to that area first.

That’s what I’ve been doing to try to distract them, but it doesn’t always work, because not all of them fall for it. I don’t know if they are smarter, or just smart-a**es.
Maybe try a small amount of treat to distract? It sounds like you've unintentionally trained your whole flock to be food aggressive?

I'm not sure I would hold it over my head, that would just give him a higher target.
If it were me (and when mine try to jump at the feed this is what I do), I would move the container to the side and give a grunting uh-uh. While doing that I gently move them out of my way with my foot as I continue to walk to the feeder. I never stop for them, never let them get their way.
Also, might want to change to a different container to fill the feeder or if possible take the feeder to your feed - fill it and then bring it back.
As well, change up your routine a bit so they are not expecting you to fill the feeder.
I like the suggestions. I feed from outside the pens and have as little contact as possible other then my yard hens that are like puppies.

Back
Top Bottom