Need advice for New Coop/Run setup please!

Looks good so far.

Can you get some shade on the sunset side? Late afternoon is the hottest part of the day.

Maybe lean some pallets up against the wall there? That would make some shade, but not interfere with airflow.

The next time it rains, pay attention to the way the wind blows the rain into the enclosure. :)
Will do
I wanna plant some stuff around there as well. Just not sure what is safe for chickens and when to do it with this heat.
I have a star jasmine...would that be ok on outside but if they got hold of leaf not hurt em?

Will do
I wanna plant some stuff around there as well. Just not sure what is safe for chickens and when to do it with this heat.
I have a star jasmine...would that be ok on outside but if they got hold of leaf not hurt em?

I have no idea in re: star jasmine.

How much more growing season do you have? I just put in another planting of State Half-Runner beans (which don't grow as tall as regular pole beans), but I don't get first frost until the end of October.

If you put up vines you should use a separate trellis instead of the run wire because it's a royal pain to get dead vines off wire that you want to reuse. Landscape roses are tough as nails, get nice and bushy, and are non-toxic.

How much more growing season do you have?
Heck if I know lol...I'm guessing Octoberish. But there is no way I can dig in that ground - it is awful! Our garden is raised because of it.

Maybe lean some pallets up against the wall there? That would make some shade, but not interfere with airflow.
My husband always says I don't need pallets every time I see em on side of road for free! So doubt he'll let me get any.
What about this? I have a 2'x4' piece left over from the run extension I did on prefab coop.
Screenshot_20210605-075556_Chrome~2_389100560714850.jpg

Heck if I know lol...I'm guessing Octoberish. But there is no way I can dig in that ground - it is awful! Our garden is raised because of it.

My husband always says I don't need pallets every time I see em on side of road for free! So doubt he'll let me get any.
What about this? I have a 2'x4' piece left over from the run extension I did on prefab coop.
View attachment 2778722

That's showing clear. Clear plastic roofing in the sun turns a coop into a rotisserie. :D

You can use anything that will provide shade. 2'x4' is better than nothing, but better to have enough to provide a good-sized area that's protected from the sun.

The next time it rains, pay attention to the way the wind blows the rain into the enclosure. :)
Ok we got a summer thunderstorm last night...I wasn't out there but from the looks inside this morning rain came in from the east blowing into the front there of the coop/run.
But when I was watering flowers day before it blew the water different way which would be blowing from out of the north.
I guess that's one reason I get confused...is always seems to blow a different way?
Idk if that makes any sense or not.

The wind does not always blow from the same direction.
Ok so how can you determine the best direction to do your coop/run?
This being an open air coop and me being in such a hot climate with silkies I want to build them a ventilated coop area BEFORE winter within the open air coop. So how can I know which is the best area to do that in within the open air coop?

Back
Top Bottom