NEED ADVICE FOR WINTER BROODY!!!!

NewDuckMama4

Chirping
Aug 11, 2019
So I have 3 silkies , 2 hens and 1 rooster. My rooster is over 2 years old, so I assumed he was sterile after checking dozens of eggs and not finding a single fertile one !! Last week I went to the pen and there were eggs under them so I decided to check them before throwing them.....well to my surprise THERE WERE FERTILE EGGS!!!!!! I WAS SO EXCITED! Now I've seen him mate before and he didn't seem to do it quiet right ....he wouldn't ever get his swimmers in the right place ....usually it would go on the TOP of her tail🤦
Anyways I have been checking on these eggs which they ALL SIT ON TOGETHER!!! YES THAT IS RIGHT ALL OF THEM !!!! SO they has 2 good ones and one ?? Under them and I took 1 to put in my incubator! They have an enclosed area which has a small door that stays open which leads to a small completely fenced in area outside...I'm wondering...do I let them hatch them then bring them inside?? If so should I bring one of the hens in also???... yesterday I went out and to my surprise the small white hen had MOVED the eggs near where the water and food is and was sitting on them while the other 2 were in there usual corner....now i was concerned about this location because it is directly across from the open door , so I attempted to move/make her a new spot off to the side but she went back to the original corner so I decided to put the eggs back under the community corner!! She is very determined to tuck those eggs under her ....even as I pull them out to candle she immediately will tuck them back under her lol...should I just incubate all the eggs myself..?? They appear to be about 2 weeks...maybe...not quite ... But I just went to check the one I have on

......on the one in the incubator and I don't see any veins.... So I think this one has died ....😔......I wonder if it's because I took it....!!! I REALLY WANT THESE TO HATCH!! Because they are basically miracle babies!!! Any advice is very much appreciated!! Thank you!!

The simplest thing to do:
Leave the hens & eggs alone
Put water and chick starter neare the hens & chicks on the floor in the same coop, so it is easy for them to reach after the chicks hatch.

In many cases, that will be all you need to do. The hen can do the rest.

Last edited:
How’s it going @NewDuckMama4 ?
Lesson I learned from having laying and broody turkeys is to block the boys from having access to the nest. They can injure your hens (they think her sitting is because she wants to mate) and break eggs.
This can be as simple as a barrier the male can’t get under or over, depending on flying/squatting ability. With my toms, it’s an opening they won’t squish through the hens can get through. With the geese/ducks it’s a barrier with a hole underneath the hens can fit through the male is too tall.
I haven’t had a fully shared nest be successful, because it’s a round robin of stealing eggs. But if you have a dominant hen that claims the eggs, I have had two hens co-parent nicely once poults hatched. It’s all about dynamics among the flock.

Back
Top Bottom