Need advice from experts

Well, I think it would be a very bad start to your intended chicken farming. Why would you want to jeopardize your own future chickens taking in these already sick and dying chicks? Just because you think that she expects you to deal with her problems?

Do a thorough research beforehand and get your own new and properly vaccinated chicks on your own time.

And do not go there as some poultry diseases will even be transferred by shoes or clothing or yourself (hair etc.).

I think everyone has good points, but you do need to help her realize she needed to deal with her farm! She needs to get everything under controll and you can at least figure it out and help her. I don't think it should be your problem to deal with her chickens, but you can at least help her clean her coop, and figure things out, something needs to be done

I will add a very simple note: regretfully even though you might take them, she may just get more. I find it’s so distressing that people treat animals so poorly. Is it just a question of neglect? Or is it poor hygiene? I am very much in the rescue camp, as I believe all animals, all domestic animals, deserve Attention and proper care. And a little love As well

Sounds like it could be something simple like a combination of coccidia and behavioral-crowding issues like picking.

However, to be safe, I would recommend reading up about serious diseases like Marek's and even Newcastle and making sure they aren't displaying any of the related symptoms.

Meanwhile, she needs to do something about her situation of too many roosters. She really needs to take care of that situation herself. Why doesn't she have those roosters "serve her" as she eats them? (old-fashioned way).

I don't see it as your responsibility to help with butchering, because she's the one who wants those chickens to serve her, whereas you sound like you are more interested in having a few chickens as pets that lay eggs.

Make sure that you're supportive (not critical) of the idea of her butchering some of the extra roosters.

Here are a couple of ways you could help her out with the flock problems:

1. Is there any way you could find a few branches and volunteer to nail them in her coop as extra roost poles?
2. Nest boxes are fairly easy to make if you have access to some lumber.
3. Then, once you have helped with those situations and once she has mostly resolved the rooster situation, you might consider taking a few home.
The reason she likes all the roosters is because she loves the hybrids they make. She's all about the prettiest feathers and such nonsense. Chickens, to me, are absolutely pets and ill be using them for egg laying and of course pets. They are so entertaining, better than T.V.!

I think everyone has good points, but you do need to help her realize she needed to deal with her farm! She needs to get everything under controll and you can at least figure it out and help her. I don't think it should be your problem to deal with her chickens, but you can at least help her clean her coop, and figure things out, something needs to be done
Agreed, and I am almost the only person that cleans her coop. She will occasionally, however, im always in there cleaning out nests and so forth. I can help her obtain new nests and roost poles, that is something I will work on!

I will add a very simple note: regretfully even though you might take them, she may just get more. I find it’s so distressing that people treat animals so poorly. Is it just a question of neglect? Or is it poor hygiene? I am very much in the rescue camp, as I believe all animals, all domestic animals, deserve Attention and proper care. And a little love As well
BOTH!! NEGLECT AND HYGIENE! I don't want to call animal control on my mom, she may never speak to me again!

BOTH!! NEGLECT AND HYGIENE! I don't want to call animal control on my mom, she may never speak to me again!
And she will CERTAINLY get more!! She does every time! And what will animal control do? She provides nasty water and filthy coop to sleep in and feeds the chickens ON THE GROUND!! Where the poop is!! I could pull my hair straight out!

Is there a way you can eliminate the amount of roosters as @Ruthster55 said? And can you help make the coop more clean and nice for the chickens?
She will not allow me to eliminate a single 1bird, but yes, I can and will continue to help her clean. The problem is, I'm so busy and there are 80 of them, I can clean it today and you won't be able to tell it tomorrow

Well, I think it would be a very bad start to your intended chicken farming. Why would you want to jeopardize your own future chickens taking in these already sick and dying chicks? Just because you think that she expects you to deal with her problems?

Do a thorough research beforehand and get your own new and properly vaccinated chicks on your own time.

And do not go there as some poultry diseases will even be transferred by shoes or clothing or yourself (hair etc.).
You have a very good pount!

Back
Top Bottom