Need advice from experts

Pics

streetriley

Songster
6 Years
Aug 1, 2014
S.O.S. I'm a new chicken farmer and we haven't yet bought our chickens. My folks live just down the lane and have chickens and have had them for many years. I'm thinking of taking some of them. Problem is, alot of them are sick as the coop is always filthy and she doesn't believe in vets. She's old fashioned (70 yrs old). I don't want to hurt her feelings as she purchased a ton of baby chicks in anticipation of me taking them. More than 1/2 died. She doesn't seem to care. Do I take her chickens or get new? If I take hers what do I treat them for? Please please help. Thank you!

I think you could take them, I would. I mean I am more of the "save all the chickens" type, andante would proably have a great home with you. I mean, the worst that could happen is they don't make it and you have to get new chickens anyway but at least you would be giving them a good home. Most people would disagree, but as long as you don't have another flock to possibly infect, then your pretty safe but you do have to be ready for the worst.

I have a tie, can someone else please add their 2 cents? I'm new to this and really need the advice. Much appreciated!

You do have to be ready for it. Depending on how many chickens you take at once it can be a lot of work and slightly stressful to treat chickens for diseases, and there will be some steps you have to take to even find out what's wrong. But, you may just save thoughts chickens lives! You can do this! 💕 Avery

I was going to start with 25-30, however, I believe I will keep the numbers lower if I do take mom's chickens. Due to the fact they are sickly.thank you!

Yes, I would only take 5-7 at time, five or less is better. Heal all or at least most of the bunch you take, and then Get another bunch. I just took some of my grandparents chickens home to treat them myself, so I can help you out if you decide to treat them! You will need to be prepared with everything for ever scenario before bringing them home though. Here is a good thread about all the stuff you may need for keeping chickens healthy. you will not need all the eating son the list, just wound care items, and medical treatment.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit-updated-8-01-2020.1150128/

Your risk is things like mereks and diseases of that nature that last in the environment and are able to be passed to further poultry residents for years to come. I’d want to know why they’re dying first of all. Then where they came from. And if they’re vaccinated (not that this always is a cure all. Mereks is very complex. A search on BYC will help flood your mind and maybe keep you up at night). That’s my two cents. If she “doesn’t care that much” perhaps it’s something Easily resolved like not providing a proper environment (Ie: temperature).

Back
Top Bottom