need advice from white chicken owners

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dixiechick, Feb 21, 2009.

1. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

My new girl is starting to stain...what is the best way to bring her back to white?

I tried washing her with Woolite today, but that didn't work...

I read another post that suggested Mrs. Wright's Laundry Bluing...but NO WHERE local sells it...

Will tear stain remover for dogs do it? It's mainly on her bum and her feet.

2. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a flea/tick dog/puppy shampoo on my white silkies and that always does the trick. [​IMG] I would be leery of using whiteners although bluing is said to work in small doses.

3. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Let me get this right. You are shampooing a chicken? Neither God nor Prell ever intended this. The chicken will groom itself, plus feathers fall out and are replaced. Barring a greasy accident, I canʻt imagine washing a chicken.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Baby shampoo is mild enough to wash them with. But not too often, as it will dry out the feathers. You can buy blueing in most any grocery store, but only use a few drops in the rinse or the chicken will be blue. Then rinse a second time and after she dries she should be whiter.

Is she yellow? Are you feeding her corn? Corn may cause the feathers to be off color. And sometimes straight sunlight will also. Provide a partial shade atmosphere.

( if the genetics are such, then some white birds will go a bit yellow in full sun. )

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    A pinch of OxiClean mixed with Cowboy Magic Shampoo should do it. that's what I use on my whites. Make sure not to feed her corn or milo, and keep her out of the sun!

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm white, what do ya need to know??? [​IMG]

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Normally when I wash white birds I use a few drops of blueing. If you cant find that anywhere you could go to the feed store and get some quick silver shampoo for horses and other livestock.

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    keep them out of the sun as well.. that will stain/turn them yellow just as it will Silver duckwings.. Which is why my silver duckwings are golden atm [​IMG] Corn will also do it, i was told once it happens their ruined until molt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by