need advice from white chicken owners

dixiechick

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
North Central Florida
My new girl is starting to stain...what is the best way to bring her back to white?

I tried washing her with Woolite today, but that didn't work...

I read another post that suggested Mrs. Wright's Laundry Bluing...but NO WHERE local sells it...

Will tear stain remover for dogs do it? It's mainly on her bum and her feet.

I use a flea/tick dog/puppy shampoo on my white silkies and that always does the trick.
wink.png
I would be leery of using whiteners although bluing is said to work in small doses.

Let me get this right. You are shampooing a chicken? Neither God nor Prell ever intended this. The chicken will groom itself, plus feathers fall out and are replaced. Barring a greasy accident, I canʻt imagine washing a chicken.

Baby shampoo is mild enough to wash them with. But not too often, as it will dry out the feathers. You can buy blueing in most any grocery store, but only use a few drops in the rinse or the chicken will be blue. Then rinse a second time and after she dries she should be whiter.

Is she yellow? Are you feeding her corn? Corn may cause the feathers to be off color. And sometimes straight sunlight will also. Provide a partial shade atmosphere.

( if the genetics are such, then some white birds will go a bit yellow in full sun. )

Last edited:
keep them out of the sun as well.. that will stain/turn them yellow just as it will Silver duckwings.. Which is why my silver duckwings are golden atm
tongue.png
Corn will also do it, i was told once it happens their ruined until molt

Back
Top Bottom