Need advice...going outside for the first time?

Mine will be 2 weeks old on Monday. I plan on taking them out for the first time Sunday. (Weather permitting) Its supposed to be a high of 85 and sunny. Im going to stake out a 15x15 ft. area and put up a temporary chicken wire play pen. Im gonna let them play as long as they want. We'll be in the vegitable garden doing some planting.

I was wondering the same thing. My littles run away when i try to hold them in the Brooder. I have approx 10 Bard Rocks adn 10 White Laced Wynd. They are very fast and I would love to take them outside but there are 2 things I worry about. A. They will run away. B. The Bigs (Hens I have had for a year now), will try to eat them. Thoughts?

I have 36 4 week old chicks that I took outside last weekend. They loved it!! I brought them in on Monday evening since it has dropped down in the 20s at night here. Even though I have a heat lamp in the pullet coop, I didn't want to take the chance.

My chicks don't get too far from DW and I since they know where the meal worms come from!!

And the meelies WORK!!

Joe

Just from my experience, I have 21 chickens, from 1 yr.s down to 4 wk.s, I don't think they will run away from you, it will all be new and so they will stay close. The older hens will be curious but not to agressive. They should be fine. Have fun.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom