Need advice...going outside for the first time?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by twinzmom, Mar 17, 2012.

1. ButchGood

ButchGood Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Mine will be 2 weeks old on Monday. I plan on taking them out for the first time Sunday. (Weather permitting) Its supposed to be a high of 85 and sunny. Im going to stake out a 15x15 ft. area and put up a temporary chicken wire play pen. Im gonna let them play as long as they want. We'll be in the vegitable garden doing some planting.

2. rscott25

rscott25 Hatching

Mar 19, 2012
    Tyler, Tx
    I don't know how old my 6 chicks are I forgot to ask when I bought them : / so im reluctant to let them outside.

3. brahmamomma

brahmamomma In the Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    my chicks hate being picked up even in the brooder. im scared to go out with them, will they run from me?

1 person likes this.
  4. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Songster

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    I am moving my 8 week old Silkie chicks outside today for good...... I know they will enjoy it...

5. KingBardRock

KingBardRock In the Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    I was wondering the same thing. My littles run away when i try to hold them in the Brooder. I have approx 10 Bard Rocks adn 10 White Laced Wynd. They are very fast and I would love to take them outside but there are 2 things I worry about. A. They will run away. B. The Bigs (Hens I have had for a year now), will try to eat them. Thoughts?

6. wattsjadajoe

wattsjadajoe Chirping

Aug 15, 2011
    Avondale, Colorado
    My Coop
    I have 36 4 week old chicks that I took outside last weekend. They loved it!! I brought them in on Monday evening since it has dropped down in the 20s at night here. Even though I have a heat lamp in the pullet coop, I didn't want to take the chance.

My chicks don't get too far from DW and I since they know where the meal worms come from!!

And the meelies WORK!!

Joe

7. mamaluvschick

mamaluvschick In the Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Kersey Colorado, USA
    Just from my experience, I have 21 chickens, from 1 yr.s down to 4 wk.s, I don't think they will run away from you, it will all be new and so they will stay close. The older hens will be curious but not to agressive. They should be fine. Have fun. [​IMG]

8. wattsjadajoe

wattsjadajoe Chirping

Aug 15, 2011
    Avondale, Colorado
    My Coop
    Here are some pics!![​IMG][​IMG]

And this is Flash! He/she will fly onto my hand, he/she loves the meal worms!![​IMG]

These are the wee ones...1 week old!!
    [​IMG]

9. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Songster

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Flash is a he :) they are all sooo cute! I want new babies sooo bad :)

10. wattsjadajoe

wattsjadajoe Chirping

Aug 15, 2011
    Avondale, Colorado
    My Coop
    OK!! Teach me...How can you tell???? [​IMG]

Joe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: