Need advice...going outside for the first time?

Sooo my girls loved being outside today! They were out for about 1 and a half hours. It was quite funny getting them out there though, my husband started putting them in their holding box that we use when we clean out their brooder and as he put one in the box and went for another the one in the box would jump back out. Finally after lots of laughter from him and I they all got outside in the small coop run. At first they weren't too sure about it but after a short time they were very happy just clucking around, scratching and checking it all out. Thanks again to everyone for their advice. I can't wait until they can be outside all the time, my babies are growing so fast!

My chicks are 3 weeks old tomorrow and they LOVE being outside. I moved them to the outside coop last weekend and I am so glad I did. They are just so much more happier outside. During the day I open the door to the coop and they spend the entire day outside. Then at about 6:30ish I close them back up in the coop. I love watching them. they jump, run, and flap around. They are also finally getting brave enough to check out more of the run, but they dont go to far from the coop door lol. I do turn on their heat lamp at night though since the lows get in the 50's.

I would not do that to my 6 week old chicks...certain injury. Grown hens can pack a wallop with their hard beaks...they should be at least 12 weeks before introducing them to adult flock. Place them where they can associate with the hens...through a fence. When they sufficiently old, they will know the flock. There will be lots of picking on the chicks by the hens when you put them together.

i let my chicks out sometime back when it was about 45-50 some digree temperture the chicks loved it and whwen they got cold or tired they just layed down or in a group and when they did that i brought them in and made sure theey had food and water

its been in the 80s here ..unusually warm for march ..breaking records and all..hoping to get the new hen house built soon..there almost 5 weeks old ..poor girls stuck in that tub..cant wait to see them zoom around the yard :)..your storys are so inspiring.. :)

So I have 15 6wk old assorted chicks. When would be safe to put them with my adult flock?

Put them in with the older flock once they stop making "baby" noises. Anywhere usualy around 8 weeks(2 mon.)is fine though
thumbsup.gif

We started taking our 6 new chicks and 3 new ducklings out at about 2-1/2 weeks, on really warm days. Usually it was runnin' in the mid 70's and we set up a temporary run between a few long raised beds, and covered the ends. The water and food was in the middle and the ducklings and chicks would take turns running each other off for their turn. The ducks of course ultimately succeeded in establishing their dominance, I think the chickens think they're just crazy. One grabbed a slow chick by the wing pretty aggressively, that was a shock, but otherwise no real problems. The raised bed sides kept the wind off and generally everybody spent most of their time in the shade, except when the ducks were busing emptying the waterer. We hope to have them all sharing the same orchard run later so we get them outside together as much as possible. Been cuttin' the heat lamp down to just a couple of hours just before sunrise (coolest part of the evening 'round here) for the chicks and the ducks are fine without now. They're all on an enclosed 4 season porch with north facing skylights when not outside, so its pretty bright without getting too warm. Gonna start opening some windows at night before I cut the heat lamp all together. They are about 4 1/2 weeks now, much bigger and better feathered. Man they grow up fast... especially those nutty ducks.

It has been in the upper 80's here. I have let the chicks [3 wks old] out just about every day for the last week. I had to provide some shade due to overheating. I finished securing their run yesterday and put them out in it. The garage has stayed in the 70's at night and have not used any lamps. They love it. Lots of good fresh grass seed.

Back
Top Bottom