NEED ADVICE! Have chickens but no coop. Lookimg for affordable options

Pics
My gf and I currently have 14 chicks. We are getting another 30 next week via delivery. We have probably 4 weeks before we have to move the chickens out. Due to the layout of my back yard I am wanting to have a 20x20x8 run/coop. We are utilizing our shed for this, but the materials to build a run is approximately the same as building one(including my time). I am here asking for tips to minimize my expense cause I am a frugal guy, and want to save my money for more chickens. I am also looking for affordable, pre-built options as well. Many thanks in advance.
Chickens don't need much. Definitely nothing fancy or elaborate. A good fence to protect against predators is more important than the coop. Also you may consider dividing a larger run into sections so you can rotate them every week to a new space and not rotate back to the first space until a month or more. This keeps them healthy and odors down. Also consider deep mulch bedding especially in the winter.

We keep between 50-100 birds, one huge coop, and a few small ones. Half of our flock have decided to sleep in the trees. They have been doing this for a few years now. So much for the nice big coop.

My gf and I currently have 14 chicks. We are getting another 30 next week via delivery. We have probably 4 weeks before we have to move the chickens out. Due to the layout of my back yard I am wanting to have a 20x20x8 run/coop. We are utilizing our shed for this, but the materials to build a run is approximately the same as building one(including my time). I am here asking for tips to minimize my expense cause I am a frugal guy, and want to save my money for more chickens. I am also looking for affordable, pre-built options as well. Many thanks in advance.
I built a summer coop today for a dozen 3 month old chicks. I made it out of an ugly, but sturdy, table which I screwed a leftover 3.5'X8' piece of metal roofing onto. Then I put two 6' wide 2X2's between the table legs for roosts and that was it! I did fasten it to the existing fence posts so the wind won't tip it over. I call it a summer coop because it has no walls. I may add a wall for more shade or enclose it later for winter weather. But we have 60 birds and half of them choose to sleep in a tree year round in the Pacific Northwest.

I built both of mine out of scrap. I had everything I needed before I got chickens. I picked up stuff off the highway, off of curbs, Lumber that people were giving away on the internet. I even went to a factory and rummage through their trash.

It looks like it's built out of scrap and I will not be on the cover of any magazine. However, it works

You can try some home remodel or construction sites. I would not take anything without asking unless ,it's on the street. You can approach a contractor and ask them if they care if you take anything or you could offer to buy it.

You would be surprised what you can pick out of dumpsters. you have to be a bit religious about it to get anywhere. And occasionally it may require you to humble yourself to pick up somebody else's trash. But the things you need are out there.

It's a shame how much construction throws in the trash. You can just about build a house with the stuff they throw away. But they're not too friendly about you getting it because, they get stolen from so much. Fortunately for me I worked in construction for a while and I was able to pick up a lot of materials like that as well. And even though I worked on the site ,I still got some rebuff from people here and there for taking things. find a old house or garage being torn down . Look for a new subdivision and go in and drive around and ask people if you can have some things.

Someone suggested Craigslist and there are other apps like facebook, let-go and offer up. They have listings for coops and dog pens and all kinds of stuff that, people want to get rid of for free and cheap.

I don't recommend pallet wood unless you familiarize yourself with pallet codes. Don't use anything that's not food grade unless you seal it ... you'll have to seal food grade as well because, it's not treated wood.
I built shipping containers for a company using pallets and they are covered with toxic chemicals. I cringe every time someone recommends pallets. People don't realize those things go around the world. They have applications but, not for your food. Even pressure treated wood is toxic but you have to use it.

these methods are not for the lazy. I consider it Sweat Equity. I'm still working for it. I'm just not paying cash out of my pocket. And you better hurry cuz them cuz them chicks are going to grow fast.

Seriously, a chicken coop can be built out of anything you have on hand, as long as it's mostly tightly fit together with no cracks and gaps that predators can get through, close up any cracks and gaps with hardware cloth, plywood.. Anything durable, it doesn't need to be pretty, just secure, big enough, not too big, has predator proof ventilation, room for roosts, and can be cleaned inside. Chicken don't care if their coop is ugly, as long as they have good food and safety. So I'd maybe throw something together quick, then worry about the Taj Mahal at your leisure 😁

My last "throw it together" coop was built out of 10 pallets, 4 2x4's, a big tarp, a few branches for the roosts, and a couple hinges for the door. They loved it.

you are supposed to build the coop BEFORE you buy the chicks 😂

I agree with the putting the cart before the horse comment. Sounds like you have to build it in a time crunch or that shed will suddenly have nesting boxes popping out the side. My only real tip for saving money is try to find recycled lumber. Fence company, salvagers. Other than that you've to a big project to do in the next couple weeks. There are a lot of good free plans on line if you search. That's what I did, but I also spent 1500 building mine.

We repurposed a shed that was already on our property. The previous owners kept a goat in it. For the run we used a chain link dog run(also on the property in a different spot). We then covered the roof and sides of the fencing with a black plastic mesh my husband got from a commercial fisherman friend who used it to make crab traps. In 6 years we have had no break ins or escapes.

Since you already have a shed, why not simply convert it? Even if that ends up being a temporary solution, you'll have a safe place for the birds until you're ready to build something else. You could probably even sketch out what you'd like and hire someone to do the labor for you if you don't have the time to do all the work yourself; perhaps if you or your girlfriend help them out w/the work when you're able you'll get a discount (and learn and maybe make a buddy in the process—never bad things).

This might sound super jank but I used an extra large Rubbermaid tote flipped upside down with a hole cut out and an old dog crate as a temporary coop until I could build my coop 🤷 I got the chicks Feb 24 and then the world fell apart about 3 weeks later and it was hell trying to get my lumber shipment in time. The coop doesn't need to be fancy. Just safe and secure.

With your coop taken care of you just need a run. In this video you can see my 2 runs the smaller one is around 12x15 it could be made bigger easily. The frame was from craigslist it's a portable garage and was bent a little from snow weight I paid $75 for it. It was an easy fix and has been up for 7 years. This year it needs new covering I will only use vinyl coated now it lasts longer. I don't have major predictor issues here the only deaths were free range times.

I presently have 15 hens and one rooster. The coop is a 4 x 4 for sleeping and protection at night. It sits within a very large shed surrounded by two outdoor yards, fully fenced. It's perfect because they have a covered area in bad weather and plenty of outside area. They don't need a lot of space to sleep and for night protection. Outdoor areas have large bushes and trees. I live in an easy climate, Raleigh, NC. I would think it wouldn't cost too much to put together a 4 x 4 until you can expand. For young chicks and pullets, I use a dog crate with a heating unit within the shed.

Attachments

• IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    446.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    504.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG