NEED ADVICE! Have chickens but no coop. Lookimg for affordable options

and even if your GF can't build - a hoop coop w/ wire attached is not hard to do. She can sit on the ground and attach the wire of your choice - HC, chicken wire or 2x4" - with zip ties or hog rings. Can attach all wire to inside or outside before putting it up.

14jun22coop595.jpg 14jun22coop597.jpg 14jun22coop603.jpg

18nov17_120105.jpg 18nov17_131054.jpg

I think you'll also find the CP Hoop coops are more stable and will last under a snow load where you are - better than a PVC one. I could be wrong. But everything we've built with PVC has broken in less than 6 months. Yet we still try it in other projects, so... My CP hooped projects (some temporarily tied w/ haystring) have lasted many years and I can't fit anything properly in wood, so.

For your run, there are so many options.

You can still use CP to hoop the run and instead of any type of roofing, just cover in wire or if truly no predators or cats (see my cat below!!), you can use bird aviary netting (plastic).

18feb24_102403.jpg 18feb24_102430.jpg

Poultry netting made hot. This will be open at the top, just temporary hot fencing that you can move to put your birds out in different areas.

Do fencing like Aart's - check out her coop page. She used fencing & t-posts, then shaped chain link fence tubing and did 2x4" wire over that.

You could do pvc hooped over with wire/netting. Or you could put in a center board running the full length of run, centered, put wire or netting draped down to your run fencing. Again so many ways to do inexpensively - just depends on what your predator load is.

Last edited:
I built my own coop, 8'X8' and then added a run with PT 2X4 and welded wire. I added a second 4'X6' coop later. When I moved I had them both moved to the new house. I don't remember what I spent, but scounged and found second-hand lumber when I could. Roof shingles were practically free from a local hardware store (open bundles.) Very do-able. And I learned a lot too! (Borrowed a friend's carpentry book.) Oh, also lots of free stuff, windows etc on craigslist.

Attachments

• DSCN3341.JPG
    DSCN3341.JPG
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN3343.JPG
    DSCN3343.JPG
    663.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN4292.JPG
    DSCN4292.JPG
    748.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    895.4 KB · Views: 8
My gf and I currently have 14 chicks. We are getting another 30 next week via delivery. We have probably 4 weeks before we have to move the chickens out. Due to the layout of my back yard I am wanting to have a 20x20x8 run/coop. We are utilizing our shed for this, but the materials to build a run is approximately the same as building one(including my time). I am here asking for tips to minimize my expense cause I am a frugal guy, and want to save my money for more chickens. I am also looking for affordable, pre-built options as well. Many thanks in advance.
so an easy answer, though not always the cheapest, is to buy chainlink dog runs and attach it to your shed. There are often specials on varieties on kits at Lowes or similar places . If you buy slightly more expensive ones (not the one with tension mesh but attached piece by piece you can attach them together or do so in stages. Also it is perfectly easy to attach right to your shed, almost no time. The curve won't be rectangular but the chickens don't care. This is what we did. We bought one 10 by 10 (by 8 high) and then bought another the next year. (Though obviously you'd want more than that for yours)If you are clever you might be able to search around and find used ones that people no longer need. When we priced it out it was only slightly more than doing the poles with solid wire etc.

This is our prefab from a rent to own place in town. Its 8x20 and costs us $116 per month.....we put our flock of 5 hens and 1 rooster in it and raised 3 chicks this spring that we hatched out and now have those 3 pullets in with their parents...so 1 rooster, 8 hens but we DO free range everyday.
View attachment 2130072

Wow that's nice for a prefab... surprised you can rent to own it.

IMO should be fine, the unit is completely painted anyhow. I was very much considering an all cedar playhouse until practical won over the cute aspect of it. :)

If you look closely at my profile pic you’ll see cedar. I used it as structural support in my coop design. I have lots of cedar on my place and decided to put it to use. My hens don’t seem to be bothered by it at all.

If you look closely at my profile pic you’ll see cedar. I used it as structural support in my coop design. I have lots of cedar on my place and decided to put it to use. My hens don’t seem to be bothered by it at all.

I have cedar in the trim, as well as some in the chip mix I use. Can't avoid it around here, trees get downed, branches break, and a third of it is cedar, so often a faint aroma of it as you walk through the neighborhood.

I used the prefab fencing panels from HD to build my coops. The first was 8 x 8 with a run behind it. The 2nd one is 8 x 16 . The fence panels are made of treated wood so you don't have to worry about them rotting. The first one I built was back in 2015 and I have had no problems with it. The second one cost me between 5 & 6 hundred but well worth it. I now have plenty of room for my chickens and have added some ducks and pheasants to the flock and still have plenty of room. I guess it's up to you whether to build it yourself or buy prefab chicken coops that will soon fall apart because of faulty workmanship. I like D I Y you know what you are getting that way. I hate buying junk and that's what a lot of it is. If it says "Made in china" the life expectancy of it is by the time you get home with it it will start falling apart. It really gripes my ........ Anyway that's what I do. And you have fun doing it and the satisfaction of knowing it will be there for a long time.

You could build a good coop out of waferboard but put a double wall in it. We have an 8x8 coop with insulated with syrofoam ceiling. We have 15 chickens with 6 laying boxes in the coop and a roost. We also put in two double insulated windows for sunlight. It works well, we are up in northern Wisconsin. Where are you located at? Always build the coop before getting all those chickens, you will have to build a 16 x16 coop or bigger as you should have 4 sq. feet per chicken. When they are too crowded you will run into health problems.

One reason I like the cattle panels for this OP is they are working with an 8' width. Conveniently a cattle panel when arched is 8' wide and a bit over 6' tall.

Unless I misunderstood the OP's needs......

My hoop run on a 6x8 shed/coop.
That snow would have crushed PVC.

IMG_20191126_134611.jpg IMG_20200310_123410.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom