**Need advice** Help Please!!! Bronchitis?! Coryza?!

loralei

Songster
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
New Caney, Texas
Fancy is my absolute favorite! I would hate to lose her! Any and all help grately appreciated! A few days ago I noticed that her one eye was a little runny. I have been watching it and it has gotten worse. After doing much reading here last evening I separated her from the flock first thing this morning. To be honest what I read scared the heck out of me. I fear Infectious Bronchitis. I started her on Duramycin-10 this evening. TSC would not sell me Tylan 50. The smallest syringes they had was 18ga anyway. Their "chicken expert" said it was probably Coryza. There is no smell though. There is no sneezing, coughing, wheezing, nasal discharge, etc. Fancy seems fine except for the following.

**I will post a pic as soon as possible.** This morning she had a smaller than a pea sized bump on the upper rear portion of her runny eye. It has ulcerated and is bleeding a little; likely from her scratching at it. It looks like the conjunctiva may be ruptured (?) as her eyeball appears flat. This evening I noticed bubbling.

She is eating and drinking just fine and her poo looks normal. This evening I fed her half a hamburger bun that I dipped in her water solution and fed by hand to make sure she got some of the antibiotic in her asap. This was in addition to her regular food.

She is a 4 month old Araucana. My flock eats Purina Flock Raiser 20% and black oil sunflower seeds.

They are allowed to range for a couple hours every day unless it rains as it did here today. We are in East Texas if that is helpful.

None of the others have the runny eye thing. Everyone seems normal.

Please advise.

Last edited:
Thank you for bumping me up faykokoWV!!! I have no avian vet in my area, am on the verge of panic and I am unable to find syringes of the appropriate gauge. 18ga is the smallest I can find. Ughh! I will have to order them on-line. I ordered Baytril and an antibiotic ointment for her eye this morning but they did not offer overnite shipping. Again ughh!

Fancy would not eat this morning but she ate some bread soaked in the Duramycin that I offered by hand and I left a scrambled egg for her when I went off to work and I think she ate some of that while I was away. Her poo looks greenish but I could just be perinoid. She's alert and chirping this chirp she does when she is uneasy about something. She's not liking being isolated from the others.

I'm hoping this is just an eye injury. Rudy, my roo has been rather rough with the girls. I just lost a golden laced Polish on Saturday due to his shenanigans.

I've read that if it is a nasty respiratory thing that even when she recovers she will still be a carrier. I'm uncertain about the ramifications of this. This is so scary!

Laura

Laura,

Call or email Peter at First State Vet. I know with Coryza, the Gallimycin is the first line of defense in water, but better than that is the Tylan injectable, which he will overnight. The Merck manual says they work about the same, but my avian vets (who both did poultry specialization at KState ag school) say the injectable woks faster and stronger- and if your problem is an eye infection and not the Coryza, this should work on it as well. You'll need a 25g needle, 5/8" long. Sulfa won't do it at all, nor will other antibiotics.

Best of luck! Without the nasal discharge, I lean toward eye infection. The sneezing and snottiness of Coryza is unmistakable, but it usually starts in the eyes.

I agree, don't freak out until you have more info.

Get a pic up ASAP, that will help a ton.

Next you need some sterile saline or sensitive eyes saline solution for contact lenses. Flush her eye with that. Look closely for any foreign bodies. You should probably have antibiotic eye ointment on hand also, it can be had at the feed store.

Thanks to all!!! I did flush the eye with contact lense solution yesterday. It was not a pleasant experiance for either of us! I will do again later this evening.

She has had a bump on the upper middle portion of her beak. This morning I used a warm wet washcloth with a little mouthwash (minty things help me when I am congested and it says it kills germs) and held it on the bump. It came off like a big scab. Maybe nasal discharge? It was a little bloody where the "scab" came off. It has dried up now and so has the sore near her eye.

I have syringes on the way and will be much relieved once she starts on the Tylan. I bought some at a feed store today. My husband found a 22ga syringe to. I would hate to use it on her but may have little choice if the others do not arrive tomorrow.

just a tip for anyone following, we needed small guage needles last year to give the cat an injection. We asked at our local pharmacy (Rite Aid) and they were able to provide us 2 syringes and needles at no charge and without a prescription. I just told them what it was for and they were very helpful. I'm a big believer in the "the worst they can do is say no" policy.

by the way... bumping is not allowed on this forum, so all I actually did was give you a polite reply
big_smile.png

Thank you! Thank you! I do hope ya'll are right and Fancy has an injury and not a disease. She is special to me! Not a pretty chicken but she loves to look at herself in the chrome bumper on my truck! lol She sits on my shoulder and pulls at my hair in an almost affectionate way. She really is a sweetie!

I will ask the CVS in Porter, TX. They have the most amazing staff. I'm sorry I didn't think of it myself. They have really gone the extra mile for my husband, a disabled vet.

Thank you for all the support and encouragement! It is so selfless what you folks that do this regularly do and I know from reading all the different posts that it means the world to us newbys that are scared and uncertain when are birds are sick and suffering.

God bless you all!

Back
Top Bottom