Need Advice Here!!!!

Debbie7371

Chirping
Sep 4, 2021
Hi everyone…I have a broody hen who has been sitting on two fertilized eggs for 27 days today. She started out with 4 eggs, got rid of two within the first week and has been sitting on the other two. I candled these eggs after about 11 days and could clearly see blood vessels in the eggs. How much longer should I let her sit on them? Does it normally take this long? Everything I have read says 21 days give or take….Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you're absolutely sure she's been sitting on them for 27 days, I'd throw them out. If it's possible she was off them a lot during the first few days, or that somehow these eggs got added in later... then I'd candle them first and maybe give it another couple days. It CAN take a little longer than 21 days, but not much longer. When I had this situation, I threw out the dead eggs on day 28.

I candled them on day 11 and clearly saw blood vessels. I did candle one today and couldn’t see into the egg at all. I will give it a few more days and then remove. Question though...if I purchase a couple of chicks and place them under her will she take to them? She tried so hard and is an older chicken.

I candled them on day 11 and clearly saw blood vessels. I did candle one today and couldn’t see into the egg at all. I will give it a few more days and then remove. Question though...if I purchase a couple of chicks and place them under her will she take to them? She tried so hard and is an older chicken.

Maybe. It isn't guaranteed. But other people have done it successfully. If you try that, get chicks as young as possible, and put them under her at night.

Back
Top Bottom