Need advice, is this ducklings leg broken?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goldendoodles, May 2, 2009.

1. Goldendoodles

Goldendoodles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Hey everyone
    This is my first batch of ducks, and unfortunately one, a 2 and a half week old khaki campbell has an injured leg:( He still uses it when he walks, just kind of limps between the food and water. I don't know how it happened just noticed one day that one of my 11 duckies was limping. At first i thought it was just a sprain and separated him with one other buddy. When they go for their daily swim in the tub he paddles just as good as the others and i can barely tell him apart. Now that i've moved them outside (about time;) he's back in with the rest. My questions are should i separate him again. And is the leg broken it looks like its crooked but he still uses it. if it is broken should i splint it, or wrap it with something, and how??? I hope it can be fixed [​IMG] (sigh) so many questions.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25208_hurtleg.jpg
    hope the picture comes out i'm new to ducks and forums

2. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new ducks [​IMG]

He may have fractured it at some point but I doubt it's officially broken - especially if he is still using the leg and it isn't floppy. If he's still using it then I wouldn't worry too much. A splint is just going to attract the other ducklings' attention and separating him will probably stress him out.

Make sure he doesn't run around a whole lot and keep an eye on him. You may also want to have a couple feeders and waterers in there. Sometimes ducks will bully one another away from the food and water. Having another feeder and waterer will help ensure this doesn't happen.

Good luck with him.

3. Goldendoodles

Goldendoodles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I feel better now:D

4. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    That happened to one of my ducks early on, maybe at 3 weeks. It really scared me, but she healed herself and now she's just fine. I think she probably got "run over" by another duck. Good luck!

5. rlhbond

rlhbond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Mocksville, NC
    That happened to one of my ducks at about 1 week old. He wasn't able to walk on it so I splinted it for a week. He is now 4 weeks old. He still limps and his "bad" leg is a little bowed but he gets around OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by