Need advice on a muscovy duck that's limping with no obvious problems...

DawnB

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 26, 2012
Alden, MI (Near Traverse City)
Hi all...need some advice. I recently adopted/rescued a mixed flock of chickens, ducks and a goose. I have a pair of muscovies. I noticed a couple of days after we got them that the little girl duck was limping slightly. I monitored her for a bit and she seemed to be getting better. (They had a pretty rough transfer/transport...I'm guessing she got a bit banged up on the trip over). She was eating/drinking, preening and pooping normally...

So, a few days ago, I noticed her not wanting to put hardly any weight on that same leg. So, we separated her out from the flock and she is now lodged in the 'ducky motel' in my garage. Again, still eating/drinking, preening and pooping normal. When my husband and I checked her feet and leg, nothing was overly warm or looked out-of-sorts. No bumble-foot or anything.

I did notice before she really started favoring her leg that the male muscovy was getting pretty frisky with her. I'm guessing that didn't help her leg situation. He's a fair bit bigger that she is. So, I figured separating her for a bit of a rest would help.

Does anyone recommend anything else to help her out? Thanks in advance.

This is Alice and Albert (that's their mild-mannered alter-duck egos)...their red face masks always make me think of super heros...They are really Super Drake and Duck Girl! They just need capes!
lol.png

Hi all...need some advice. I recently adopted/rescued a mixed flock of chickens, ducks and a goose. I have a pair of muscovies. I noticed a couple of days after we got them that the little girl duck was limping slightly. I monitored her for a bit and she seemed to be getting better. (They had a pretty rough transfer/transport...I'm guessing she got a bit banged up on the trip over). She was eating/drinking, preening and pooping normally...

So, a few days ago, I noticed her not wanting to put hardly any weight on that same leg. So, we separated her out from the flock and she is now lodged in the 'ducky motel' in my garage. Again, still eating/drinking, preening and pooping normal. When my husband and I checked her feet and leg, nothing was overly warm or looked out-of-sorts. No bumble-foot or anything.

I did notice before she really started favoring her leg that the male muscovy was getting pretty frisky with her. I'm guessing that didn't help her leg situation. He's a fair bit bigger that she is. So, I figured separating her for a bit of a rest would help.

Does anyone recommend anything else to help her out? Thanks in advance.

This is Alice and Albert (that's their mild-mannered alter-duck egos)...their red face masks always make me think of super heros...They are really Super Drake and Duck Girl! They just need capes!
lol.png
Rest is good, and maybe some water therapy By herself. vitamins in her water for added support. They are very pretty.

Back
Top Bottom