Need advice on a tractor and equipment.

lengel

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
MA
We have four acres. Only one is cleared. Someone was using about 1/2 acre for haying without our permission and we put a stop to it.

Now we have a 1/2 acre of tall hay and are looking to buy a tractor and equipment to till the land. What would you recommend?

Hi,

Personally to save your wallet for a while, why dont you ask a local farmer if he wants to harvest the hay (if you are not going to use it) in return for tilling the land for you.... just a thought but hope it helps.

Unless you can find a used tractor with some attachments, A new tractor without attachments cost more than a new 4 wheel drive pick up truck. My dh was looking at the new kubota, and I told him if he could drive it to work, he could buy it.....work is 20 miles away!
I think English chick is right about asking a local farmer to to harvest the hay, and if you want to keep it , you could probably make arrangements on a price to pay him, my mil used to have someone put up her hay, and she paid about half of what hay was going for.
We bought a 1962 ford tractor for around $2,000, and went to farm auctions, and bought a brush hog, a post hole digger, a plow, a blade,and a shovel. we also bought a new tiller.....all in all we probably spent over $4,000 on everything including the tractor. and still can't put up hay..we need to find an old square baler and a rake to do that.

We've been told that the current cleared acreage we have isn't worth it for anyone to come here. In the end, we'll have four acres cleared but that will take some time so we thought we'd take on the entire job ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom