1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice on cuckoo maran

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by henryhoe, Aug 26, 2011.

1. henryhoe

henryhoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    I need as much advice as possible on this bird, really hope it is a girl, if it is a boy i will have to give it away, there is no way my neighbours will put up with it if it is a boy!! I just dont want to be too quick to give it away until im sure what it is!! 19-20 weeks old!!

[​IMG]

2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    No doubt that is a roo.... sorry [​IMG] If that was a pullet with that red of combs and wattles she would be laying like crazy. Pullets would not have much of a comb at that age and would not be that red or that big. He is not crowing yet???? Mine have been crowing since they were about 2 mths old.

3. henryhoe

henryhoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    could it be a girl and be maybe older? no eggs yet, it was given to me nearly 2 weeks ago now! i was told that age!
    It lets a loud like buck noise out seldomly, is that crowing

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  4. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    looks like a roo to me, sorry!! i have all girls and their combs are not even close to that size and they are 20 weeks old now.

5. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:I don't have cuckoo's but I do have marans and the roos were pretty obvious at 2 weeks by two months there was no doubt. No chance that is a girl sorry.

This is a blue copper marans roo

[​IMG]

This is a pullet not the best pic but you will get the idea

[​IMG]

not the lack of size and color in the comb and waddles. I have 9 marans roo and 5 pullets and I know roos!!!

Sorry.

6. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by