Need Advice on Decreasing Egg Production In Injured Hen

Miss Biddy

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2015
Northern New York State
Hello. My dog mangled one of my chooks two days ago. (Miss Biddy, the white hen in my avatar.)

The worse injury is to her vent:
it is leaking fecal matter, yet her vent doesn't look prolapsed. **

Sh is straining to go poo, yet poo trickles out continuously.

I did spray Blu Kote around her vent when it first happened.

What I've done so far:

1) She's in a dog crate, (in my house) completely covered, with hay for bedding.

2) I'm feeding her scratch with mixed with molasses, and bananas.

3) I put oyster shells in her water for calcium. ( I read this helps contract her uterus?)

4) I gave her a bath sans soap, daubed Witch Hazel and honey on her vent, then wrapped it with bandage tape. (Self sticking)

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Anything I shouldn't be doing that I'm doing now?

Thank you in advance.

Sharon

Edited to add:
she's getting better! Her poo is starting to look normal, and that awful smell is going away.

Her vent isn't as swollen and her prolapse is disappearing.

I gave her another water bath, and rubbed honey, sugar, and witch hazel on her vent.

I also sprayed some more Blue Kote on her other injuries, which are readily healing.

No eggs so far, thank goodness.

**I work with dairy cows, have seen prolapsed uteri.
It's also called "cast her withers" or "calf bed out"

edited for clarity,

Last edited:
I'm assuming when you wrapped her vent, you're leaving it open enough to expel anything she needs to.
Hopefully her body will instinctually put its energy towards healing instead of producing eggs. Mine was attacked last year on her thigh, stomach, and back, and she didn't lay again until she was fully healed. There's really no way to stop her from laying until she gets better though. I've seen owners of chickens with internal laying problems asking how to stop laying, and spaying or internal implants that stop it are the only good options.
How badly is her vent damaged? Is the muscle torn?

No, thank muffins, it wasn't torn. It's just very swollen, and she keeps pushing as if she needs to poo.
Her vent makes a whistling sound sometimes too.

The good news is, she's not laying.
I rinsed off her hind end again, and applied the honey/Witch Hazel mix.
I'm going to do this three times a day till she recovers.
I removed the bandage, because it kept falling off.
I'd only put a wrap on her because I read it helps the vent, the pressure of the wrap.

I think keeping her confined, and in the dark is helping.

If she doesn't improve by Monday, I'm taking her to the vet.

Thank you for responding.

Last edited:
I think so too. :)
She's such a good girl.
I freaked out when my dog, Lacey grabbed her.

My fault, not my dogs fault, she has a strong prey drive, which works on keeping the mouse population down!

I was going to say lower the light.
But it looks like you got this
big_smile.png

Keep us posted

Thank you! Those are very helpful. Her poo is in normal range according to those pics.

I don't know if my vet does chickens, but I don't see why not. He's a large animal vet, (and has a huge dairy farm,) so I imagine he's seen chickens before.

Fingers crossed!

PS, I see poo, it just reminds me of gold for my garden.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom