Need advice on DIY plans

Palmer01

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2017
My family runs a small poultry and egg business. We currently have around 100 chickens in our flock, and we want to relocate and replace our old walk in with a new and more efficient coop. I really like the walk in chicken coop plans by Dave Malcolm on howtoplans.org. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of Dave or his site? Also if there’s someone who’s built a chicken coop using their plans, please let me know if the plans are worth the money? Thanks so much:)

First off, how big of a building are you going to build for 100 chickens? For them I am thinking custom size and not a small homeowner shed size. A small garage type building, not a shed.

Plans are really not needed in my opinion. I have built several coops and a three car garage on my own and helped build plenty of houses. Beams is the only thing I can't do alone and you need none of that for a coop. Not sure where you are and if a gabled rood or a shed roof would work for you. (snow load)

You can build a simple shed on concrete, or 4x6 pressure treated skids. you build the floor and build panelized walls. I built 8' section with doors and windows in them, plywood on the bottom to over lap the flooring and stood them up. Ply wood on top staggered and it locks them all together.

If it gets extra wide you can just order trusses to cover that span.

Hey look at this. No details on this, which makes me warry. Looks like you just buy all the 2x4's and they sell you the brackets and plans.

My family runs a small poultry and egg business. We currently have around 100 chickens in our flock, and we want to relocate and replace our old walk in with a new and more efficient coop. I really like the walk in chicken coop plans by Dave Malcolm on howtoplans.org. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of Dave or his site? Also if there’s someone who’s built a chicken coop using their plans, please let me know if the plans are worth the money? Thanks so much:)
Never heard of that guy.
I browsed the site...have many doubts, tho didn't bother to dload the 'free' version to look closer.
None of the coop designs I saw were fantastic, all look a bit shaky IMO, and none would hold 100 birds.

What do you have for a coop now? Please post pics, inside and out?
...and...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-6-17_7-10-42.png

Hey look at this. No details on this, which makes me warry. Looks like you just buy all the 2x4's and they sell you the brackets and plans.
I saw this in that other thread.....those are a bunch of brackets for 2x2's, not 2x4's.
Tho looks like there are other kits of 2x4's.
Intriguing...for folks who can't do traditional construction....but....
Wonders what the snow load rating is on that structure?

Yea, I wonder my self with some of these plans too. He/she sounds to be running a business. I personally would build 8' tall panelized walls with window and door holes and order trusses for the span needed. What you spend on the building is a write off and build it once and right to handle the conditions and weather of the area.

I agree completely! Build it big enough and sturdy, don't use one of these flimsy 'good enough for a chicken coop' designs. Mine is overbuilt a bit, because I'm out there in all weathers, and don't plan on it falling down any time soon. When a 30 ft. spruce fell on it in a windstorm, a few holes were punctured in the roof, but no structural damage at all.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom