Need Advice on Firming Up Ground Surface of Run

I've always suggested sand - but this year we had more rain than usual, and the rainy season hasn't even started yet and I am sick to death of mud and of the run.

I had 12 tons of gravel dropped off for various projects, and I figured today I may as well use some in the runs. I have already done the goose/duck pen (just the part that gets nasty, over half is still dirt - it's a big run they sleep in at night only). The chicken run is next. We have a whole three days without rain (before it hits again) so I have to get busy on it tomorrow.

The places I've gravelled so far held up really well - I also plan to do the calf corral and inside the barn.

12 tons only cost me 160 dollars (had the neighbor bring it from work in his dump truck, not sure if that is full price or not). so far I have used maybe half the pile and have covered an area 8'x25' up to four or five inches thick, and an area 15'x15' to a depth of four or five inches, also. (if ya want to do the math on how much area you've got, that might help you decide how much to buy).

(edited - cause I checked and I have it deeper than three inches.)

meri

Last edited:
Just last week, before the first big storm, I turned down my neighbor's offer of a big pile of left over gravel they had -- of course I could kick myself now!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom