Need advice on first time incubation of shipped eggs.

Thank you for the feedback. As far as the comment, I believe it was in the hatching and incubation thread. Forgive me if that is not what it’s called. This is my first time using this kind of site. So providing that orientation isn’t a big issue and I let them rest for about 24 hours after delivery, should I get an automatic turner? How important is a fan? I wish it had occurred to me that there would be more concerns with shipped eggs. My husband and I just knew how well it always went for us before, but we didn’t factor in that they were our eggs so they didn’t get jostled about.

Hi again :) Auto turners are just convenient IMO. I don't feel they affect the hatch rate as long as you are vigilant in turning yourself...its what the hen does and nothing hatches better on my farm than the real thing. I think its important to not over think this and trust in what you know. Will an $800 incubator give you better hatch rates than a $50 one? Its likely that it will with the right variables in play but if you can handle the basics like temp, humidity and turning properly you're already doing great. I have several incubators, one which is extremely expensive...it has it all - a water pump controlled by humidity controls, a fan to circulate the warm and humid air, an automatic turner etc...with shipped eggs I've had hatch rates upwards of 90% and as low as 25%. My point is, there are things you can't control (like what happens during shipping) but with the equipment and knowledge you already have, you should be able to achieve the best of all possible outcomes. If getting an all inclusive incubator buys you peace of mind, perhaps do it but its likely not going to have a huge impact.

Hi again :) Auto turners are just convenient IMO. I don't feel they affect the hatch rate as long as you are vigilant in turning yourself...its what the hen does and nothing hatches better on my farm than the real thing. I think its important to not over think this and trust in what you know. Will an $800 incubator give you better hatch rates than a $50 one? Its likely that it will with the right variables in play but if you can handle the basics like temp, humidity and turning properly you're already doing great. I have several incubators, one which is extremely expensive...it has it all - a water pump controlled by humidity controls, a fan to circulate the warm and humid air, an automatic turner etc...with shipped eggs I've had hatch rates upwards of 90% and as low as 25%. My point is, there are things you can't control (like what happens during shipping) but with the equipment and knowledge you already have, you should be able to achieve the best of all possible outcomes. If getting an all inclusive incubator buys you peace of mind, perhaps do it but its likely not going to have a huge impact.
:goodpost: X2!
I vote don't bother spending the money if you're okay with turning the eggs yourself. They need to be turned on minimum of three times a day, and always an odd number. Don't sweat too much about the hatch rate. You could get your eggs from next door and you never know how they'll turn out. That's why we don't count chicks until they're hatched!

Hello. After missing our chickens for many years, we decided to get chicks again this year. Due to Covid, it has been beyond difficult to find them locally. I knew I wanted Orpingtons and stumbled across Papas Poultry online. I’ve never shipped chicks or eggs, so I emailed him and placed my order today for 20 eggs. I still have my Little Giant incubator from hatching out our own eggs years ago and we always had tremendous success. (This is a basic model. I turned the eggs manually. It’s model 9200 still air.)

Then I started reading some threads on BYC and am feeling very concerned that I need to invest in a different incubator. I didn’t realize that shipped eggs need to be upright during incubation. Because these eggs are pricier, I really want them to do well. I’m wondering if I should purchase upgrades for what I have or just get something different. I appreciate your feedback so much.
Hello!
Looking for info about hatching shipped eggs as well. If you don't mind, what did you decide on and how is it going? Those orpington colors you chose are gorgeous. I had orpingtons before and they are very sweet and kid friendly. The ones we had liked to sit in our laps for pats. Hope things are going well for you! :)

Hello!
Looking for info about hatching shipped eggs as well. If you don't mind, what did you decide on and how is it going? Those orpington colors you chose are gorgeous. I had orpingtons before and they are very sweet and kid friendly. The ones we had liked to sit in our laps for pats. Hope things are going well for you! :)
Hello. I wish I could tell you how it’s going. 😁 I still haven’t received my eggs. They were supposed to arrive today and tracking info states they’re a bit late. My biggest concern is how old they are going to be. I asked about ship time when I ordered and was told they’d ship in 7-10 days. I don’t mind the extra wait so much. Just concerned that I might receive old eggs.
We bought two new incubators and a heat plate upgrade from our old lamp so I’m excited to see how those perform.
Orpingtons were the last breed we had too and by far my personal favorite. All the best to you.

Hello. I wish I could tell you how it’s going. 😁 I still haven’t received my eggs. They were supposed to arrive today and tracking info states they’re a bit late. My biggest concern is how old they are going to be. I asked about ship time when I ordered and was told they’d ship in 7-10 days. I don’t mind the extra wait so much. Just concerned that I might receive old eggs.
We bought two new incubators and a heat plate upgrade from our old lamp so I’m excited to see how those perform.
Orpingtons were the last breed we had too and by far my personal favorite. All the best to you.
Yes it’s nerve-racking when they arrive late! Some of mine were two days late arriving but seem to be progressing well! Good luck with everything!:)

Which incubators did you buy?
After reading quite a bit here and researching online, I went with the Nurture Right 360. It seems to have all the features I need. We did have a difficult time finding them because so many chicken supplies were sold out. Had to drive quite a distance to two separate TSC stores. I started them on Saturday afternoon so we are into the fourth day today and they seem to be performing well. They hold steady on the temperature and the humidity too. Not sure what will happen as we get further along.

My eggs were shipped from Cal. to NC and I really struggled to see the air cells prior to incubating them. I used the built in candler which is very bright. Whatever I was seeing looked so large I just didn’t feel confident at all. So the advice I’ve read was to incubate in an upright position. I cut up paper egg cartons and placed one cup with a hole in the bottom in each compartment of the incubator and I did not plug in the auto turner. The seller advised not to turn at all for 5 to 7 days. Depending on damage. Since I couldn’t determine damage prior to beginning, this is sort of an experiment I suppose. I have candled before with my own backyard eggs so I don’t know why I struggled with these unless they were too damaged or perhaps old eggs. Anyway, that was probably more than you wanted to know.

Attachments

• 01927E0A-FF7D-4D26-AB50-40428FCBF9E3.jpeg
    01927E0A-FF7D-4D26-AB50-40428FCBF9E3.jpeg
    487 KB · Views: 2
After reading quite a bit here and researching online, I went with the Nurture Right 360. It seems to have all the features I need. We did have a difficult time finding them because so many chicken supplies were sold out. Had to drive quite a distance to two separate TSC stores. I started them on Saturday afternoon so we are into the fourth day today and they seem to be performing well. They hold steady on the temperature and the humidity too. Not sure what will happen as we get further along.

My eggs were shipped from Cal. to NC and I really struggled to see the air cells prior to incubating them. I used the built in candler which is very bright. Whatever I was seeing looked so large I just didn’t feel confident at all. So the advice I’ve read was to incubate in an upright position. I cut up paper egg cartons and placed one cup with a hole in the bottom in each compartment of the incubator and I did not plug in the auto turner. The seller advised not to turn at all for 5 to 7 days. Depending on damage. Since I couldn’t determine damage prior to beginning, this is sort of an experiment I suppose. I have candled before with my own backyard eggs so I don’t know why I struggled with these unless they were too damaged or perhaps old eggs. Anyway, that was probably more than you wanted to know.

I am going through the same thing. Of I fight think of cutting the eggs up into individual! I'll have to do that. I got the Dane incubator on Sunday I think. It's been running pretty steady fur me, too. My eggs come today so I won't out then in until tomorrow.another too. Put shelf liner (one with snack holes) on the bottom. Friending what your hatching. Once read some chicks getting their feet caught in the holes on bottom tray. I have my calibrated thermometer in the incubator and one never had both my calibrated thermometer read the same adsmy incubator. Love this one so far. I am also doing dry hatch. I've had higher ratesmethod. My eggs Florida to PA.
20200520_010457.jpg

I just did the egg carton thing. Thank you for mentioning it! The eggs come today so they go in tomorrow evening.

20200520_112825.jpg

Back
Top Bottom