Need advice on hatching please

I will watch them closely when they arrive. Plan on having them in the same brooder, unless there are problems. My biggest worry is the little ones picking at the tape on his feet. Since Ducky had so many problems getting around to begin with I set him up on top of the brooder plate. He could not initially move well enough to go under it or get back out. So I put him on top with a thick wash cloth folded and covering half of the plate. He gets around much better now, and since putting the stuffy with him has not gone exploring off the plate (it's less than 3" high, with a nice cushion of pine shaving all around. New arrivals will go in the bottom of the brooder where he can see them and get used to them for a day or two before being moved in with them.

I take him out a few times a day to get him to walk around more or to let him swim.

I will watch them closely when they arrive. Plan on having them in the same brooder, unless there are problems. My biggest worry is the little ones picking at the tape on his feet. Since Ducky had so many problems getting around to begin with I set him up on top of the brooder plate. He could not initially move well enough to go under it or get back out. So I put him on top with a thick wash cloth folded and covering half of the plate. He gets around much better now, and since putting the stuffy with him has not gone exploring off the plate (it's less than 3" high, with a nice cushion of pine shaving all around. New arrivals will go in the bottom of the brooder where he can see them and get used to them for a day or two before being moved in with them.

I take him out a few times a day to get him to walk around more or to let him swim.
I love that pic I am sure with your help they will all be one big pile soon. lol They love to scrunch up together. I went back and read from the beginning and maybe missed but what breed is Ducky?

Last edited:
Ducky is a White Layer hybrid from Metzer Farms. The other 10 ducklings are on their way from there as well. Can't wait to see if I will have a wide variety or just 1 or 2 breeds, then figure out what they are.

Weather is beautiful here today, so took Ducky outside to play on the porch for awhile.

Ducky is a White Layer hybrid from Metzer Farms. The other 10 ducklings are on their way from there as well. Can't wait to see if I will have a wide variety or just 1 or 2 breeds, then figure out what they are.

Weather is beautiful here today, so took Ducky outside to play on the porch for awhile.
I look forward to seeing them all. Glad to hear your weather is good. Spring like here too.

They arrived yesterday morning. One was a bit weak on arrival, much smaller than the rest, did not make it through the night.

Tried to post pics yesterday, but the mobile app kept freezing up on my phone.

Some of them were larger than Ducky already, and hopped right up on the heat plate with him the rest soon followed suit. So much for keeping them separated for a couple of days. Need to come up with something so that Ducky can jump up and down from the heat plate, he can't make the jump yet. They prefer being on top of it rather than under, oh well, still keeps them warm.

Now the fun begins to wait and see what they grow up to be. I know 3 are Mallards, have a rear toe clipped. Then 3 had black bands, know from the hatchery marking list that they are male. Based on coloring they will most likely be Golden 300 Hybrid or Black Runners. The other 4 are yellow, so one of three Peking varieties or White Layer Hybrid. One of those is slightly smaller than Ducky but has the same pinkish colored bill, the other three are larger and have orange colored bills. So I'm guessing they are Jumbo Peking or Grimuad Hybrid.

They arrived yesterday morning. One was a bit weak on arrival, much smaller than the rest, did not make it through the night.

Tried to post pics yesterday, but the mobile app kept freezing up on my phone.

Some of them were larger than Ducky already, and hopped right up on the heat plate with him the rest soon followed suit. So much for keeping them separated for a couple of days. Need to come up with something so that Ducky can jump up and down from the heat plate, he can't make the jump yet. They prefer being on top of it rather than under, oh well, still keeps them warm.

Now the fun begins to wait and see what they grow up to be. I know 3 are Mallards, have a rear toe clipped. Then 3 had black bands, know from the hatchery marking list that they are male. Based on coloring they will most likely be Golden 300 Hybrid or Black Runners. The other 4 are yellow, so one of three Peking varieties or White Layer Hybrid. One of those is slightly smaller than Ducky but has the same pinkish colored bill, the other three are larger and have orange colored bills. So I'm guessing they are Jumbo Peking or Grimuad Hybrid.
Aww I am sorry one didn't make it. Sounds like the others are making themselves right at home. Can you fit a small brick in the brooder might give Ducky a little help jumping up and down you can wrap in something to keep it from being the hard scape it would be other wise. So are you over all happy with what you received? and will hatchery send you a replacement for the one you lost. Look forward to pics..

I could pick up a brick Sat. Have some, but they have all been in use around the older birds. Need to go to the home improvement store anyways for a few things. Going to try pieces of artificial turf to line the nesting boxes. Plus a few other project bits. Was thinking about building something out of wood that I have on hand, but brick would be easier. At least until the plate gets raised.

I ordered 10 and received 11, so the little one counts as the "just in case" one.

I am definitely happy about getting the Mallards, hoping for 1-2 males. Have 2 young adult females, lost their drake to a raccoon attack. Have since improved the no-dig skirt.

I was lucky to get them as soon as I did. Had planned to order on Friday, but by the time I got online all the hatcheries had shut down online ordering for the 21st. So called first thing Monday morning, so all I could get was hatchery choice, but they shipped the same day. Would have cost more to ship less than 10, so the rest were just to keep the cost down. Hoping that the marked males are the laying hybrid. Would not be a bad cross with one of the Mallards I have, she has been laying almost daily.

Any suggestions on how to keep them from getting water everywhere? Started out with one of the metal water bases with a mason jar when it was just Ducky and he did not spill too much. Added jar with plastic chick water base and that was a disaster. So I picked up another metal base, but they make just as much of a mess with it. Thinking about trying the quail water base, but worried that it will be too narrow.

I could pick up a brick Sat. Have some, but they have all been in use around the older birds. Need to go to the home improvement store anyways for a few things. Going to try pieces of artificial turf to line the nesting boxes. Plus a few other project bits. Was thinking about building something out of wood that I have on hand, but brick would be easier. At least until the plate gets raised.

I ordered 10 and received 11, so the little one counts as the "just in case" one.

I am definitely happy about getting the Mallards, hoping for 1-2 males. Have 2 young adult females, lost their drake to a raccoon attack. Have since improved the no-dig skirt.

I was lucky to get them as soon as I did. Had planned to order on Friday, but by the time I got online all the hatcheries had shut down online ordering for the 21st. So called first thing Monday morning, so all I could get was hatchery choice, but they shipped the same day. Would have cost more to ship less than 10, so the rest were just to keep the cost down. Hoping that the marked males are the laying hybrid. Would not be a bad cross with one of the Mallards I have, she has been laying almost daily.

Any suggestions on how to keep them from getting water everywhere? Started out with one of the metal water bases with a mason jar when it was just Ducky and he did not spill too much. Added jar with plastic chick water base and that was a disaster. So I picked up another metal base, but they make just as much of a mess with it. Thinking about trying the quail water base, but worried that it will be too narrow.
These home made waterers are nice I have made them and you can put holes in both sides if you want.. place something in the bottom I use rocks since that is about all we have here in the mountains.. Keeps them from tipping them over. make a couple since you have quite a few ducklings and sit on a broiler pan so any excess water goes into the try and not on the shavings. You may have to give them some scrap 2X4 to use for steps to get up to drink I have done that too.

900x900px-LL-511565c2_image.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmm, don't have containers on hand right now. However it gave me an idea for a solution. Brooder space is a bit limited right now, so a broiler pan won't fit, but I could place the waters I have in a cut down container that is large enough. Maybe a gallon jug will work, with tape covering the cut edge, I have some of those around.

Ducky has a ramp to join the others up top now, was made from the lid of the shipping box for the ducklings. Let him have some time out of the splints today, all of the water being splashed around had them falling apart. His feet are looking a lot better, decided that he only needed tape back on the left foot. Also left off the spraddle leg support, will see how it looks in the morning.

Hopefully the injured turkey will heal up quickly, so I can move the ducklings into the small trough soon. He finally started eating again yesterday.

Sorry about the rambling, tired, waiting for a cheesecake to come out of the oven.

Merry Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom