Need advice on hatching!

cejones119

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 4, 2010
So I know this is the chicken section but I figured I would ask anyway! I have 9 call duck eggs incubating at the moment. Today is day 26. I've been candling to check for internal pips but haven't seen any. However, some of the eggs have seriously decreased blood vesseling or none at all but are still moving. Do you think I should help them out and pip above the airsac for them. I'm just worried about lack of oxygen if they are losing their blood supply. Any help would be great, thanks!

Last edited:
That's a great big HUGE NO. You will be better off leaving them alone and NOT candling. They need all the moisture possible and every time you raise that lid, you loose it all. I know it is hard not to to intervene, but the best thing to do is LOCK DOWN the bator, tape it shut and write yourself a NOTE. If they fail to hatch, they are weak stock and you don't want them to hatch. An egg is porous, so they can breath easily through the shell. Also, the loss of veins is a good thing, they are being absorbed into the baby, getting it ready to support itself. The yolk will absorb lastly and then they will pip. Patience, patience.
jumpy.gif
You CAN do it! Good luck, HenZ

Last edited:
I would definitely not help if these were chickens. But because the calls have such little rounded beaks they apparently have a very hard time hatching. They are going to be pets, so I'm not concerned about having the strongest of the bunch. Also if this were say, day 23 I wouldn't be worried about it. But I'm looking at no signs of hatching at day 26.

Do you think I won't have any success with these guys if they haven't internally pipped by now?

I agree with sundown...not much you can do if they havent internally pipped and every time you open the bator you are giving them less of a chance at being able to hatch.

You know that ducks need 28 days for hatching not 21 like chickens right? I think you have more time. They should be able to at least internal pip by themselves, then you'll start hearing them. The last hours of incubation are really important for the bird to absorb the remaining egg yolk. If the are hatched out even a couple hours before they are ready they won't survive. Best to wait.

Yes, I am aware of the extra week for ducks. Call ducks are usually 26 days though. I am going to leave them and just assume they want 28 days instead. If they don't make it they don't make it... I just can't wait for cute little duckies! I would hate to have waited all this time and not have any hatch though
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom