Need advice on heat

Davis Freedom Farm

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2020
Tahlequah, Ok
I have baby chicks arriving soon. I bought them a safe to touch heating pad that stands up. However, it doesnt heat up the coop even to ONE degree warmer at all! So I'm having to install a heat lamp but I'm unsure if it's too close to the bedding. What should I do? That's the heating pad on the wall in the back.
20201008_134141.jpg

The heating pad is not meant to heat the coop, it is meant to act like a hen for the chicks to run to when they need warmth, then go explore. I would take out that heat lamp and move the heating pad to the wall where the heat lamp is.
Oh okay. So you think one heating pad would be okay for them to huddle next to during this winter?

How old are these chicks? Are you putting them directly into outside coop?
I ordered them off TSC so I'm assuming they're freshly hatched and they will be here in a few days. They will go into the outside coop we just bought. Previously raised chickens outside with a heat lamp but it was set up in their old coop. Now we have replaced it with a new coop and I'm having to refigure out the heating.

I have baby chicks arriving soon. I bought them a safe to touch heating pad that stands up. However, it doesnt heat up the coop even to ONE degree warmer at all! So I'm having to install a heat lamp but I'm unsure if it's too close to the bedding. What should I do? That's the heating pad on the wall in the back. View attachment 2365013
What are the temps where you live?

Since this i my first time raising chickens I’m far from an expert but i was advised to wait till they were fully feathered before putting them outside so i kept them inside in a brooder till they were probably 5 weeks old....maybe i got bad info
If there is a heat source in the coop, chicks can be raised in the coop.

Since this i my first time raising chickens I’m far from an expert but i was advised to wait till they were fully feathered before putting them outside so i kept them inside in a brooder till they were probably 5 weeks old....maybe i got bad info
I have never heard that before. We raised our first batch 100% outside with a heat lamp no issues.

Back
Top Bottom