Need advice on hen hatching eggs not sure babies can get out of

FIZBIT

Songster
May 9, 2018
OLYMPIA, WA
I free range my hens. And only this year have I let a few hens hatch eggs instead of incubating.

I have a young hen who has laid her eggs under my front porch in the box that keeps the dirt from going in to the foundation vent. It is a out 4 to 5 inches deep. Chicks have been hatching since yesterday. A d I am affraid they wont be able to get out to eat and drink on e she leaves the nest, since there is no bedding inside for them to climb up to get out.

So do I take up a board and put hay or something in there for them to climb out, or do I remove her and her chicks and put her in a secured location.

She has 16 eggs in there. Don't think all will hatch.

Help

Attachments

• 20210825_131349.jpg
    20210825_131349.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210825_131339.jpg
    20210825_131339.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210823_123217.jpg
    20210823_123217.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 15
First two days I help the mom and chicks then they do their own you can put some hay for warmth at night I let the hen do the feeding and protection she hangs out with the whole flock and she takes good care of them.

Sneaky spot there.
Do you have a pet carrier/kennel you can separate momma, chicks and eggs into?
I'm not certain on moving the eggs if there areason chicks still, accidently turning over the eggs could make it hard for them to hatch. Mark the sides that are facing up before you move them. Or maybe you could use an old towel for a ramp

Sneaky spot there.
Do you have a pet carrier/kennel you can separate momma, chicks and eggs into?
I'm not certain on moving the eggs if there areason chicks still, accidently turning over the eggs could make it hard for them to hatch. Mark the sides that are facing up before you move them. Or maybe you could use an old towel for a ramp
Yeah I am worried about the ones that are still hatching. I would be really surprised if all 16 hatched. As she is a very small RIR cross. But peaking through the slats on the porch she has them all covered, how I don't know. I was thinking placing hay around her so they could get out.

First two days I help the mom and chicks then they do their own you can put some hay for warmth at night I let the hen do the feeding and protection she hangs out with the whole flock and she takes good care of them.
The only problem is the babies can't jump out of where she laid them. It's to deep

Attachments

• 20210826_090930.jpg
    20210826_090930.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 16
4" to 5" isn't that much. Many people would be amazed at how well baby chicks can maneuver after they have dried off and rested a bit. What I'd expect to happen is that the hen will decide the hatch is over and leave the nest, telling her chicks to follow her. Out of something that deep I think they will. But that is me thinking, I'd still pay attention.

The chicks absorb the yolk before they hatch, so they can live for over 72 hours after they hatch off of that moisture and nutrition. If you see the hen try to get them out and some can't you can help them out, she's done with the unhatched eggs at that point. Or if you can you can put something in there to give them a boost. That may be hay, that might be some type of platform they could jump up on as a step out. I'd be reluctant to do anything unless I felt I had to. The hen may get defensive and harm a chick as she tries to protect them.

4" to 5" isn't that much. Many people would be amazed at how well baby chicks can maneuver after they have dried off and rested a bit. What I'd expect to happen is that the hen will decide the hatch is over and leave the nest, telling her chicks to follow her. Out of something that deep I think they will. But that is me thinking, I'd still pay attention.

The chicks absorb the yolk before they hatch, so they can live for over 72 hours after they hatch off of that moisture and nutrition. If you see the hen try to get them out and some can't you can help them out, she's done with the unhatched eggs at that point. Or if you can you can put something in there to give them a boost. That may be hay, that might be some type of platform they could jump up on as a step out. I'd be reluctant to do anything unless I felt I had to. The hen may get defensive and harm a chick as she tries to protect them.
I lifted a board up and so far I see 6 babies. She lets me pet her and pick up the babies and doesn't fuss. She is my baby girl. I hatched her in January this year. She loves to be held and petted. I may put hay in there. I put water and chick feed close to the exit for when she wants to come out.

The only problem is the babies can't jump out of where she laid them. It's to deep
You help them get out when it's time to go outside. My chicks were not in a deep nest mine where is hay stacks and I help them climb up. They can now do it by themselves day 4 so I do not assist except the first 2 days.

I put hay around her. She brought all babies out this morning. She hatched all 15 of her 15 of her eggs. What my luck to have a 100% hatch from a 7 month old hen. The 16th egg was laid 1.5 weeks ago by another hen. It was a dud. Moved her to a secluded location as all the hens were pecking her as she gathered the babies under her. Not the protective Turkey dinosaur type hen. I don't know if it's cause she is young.

Attachments

• 20210827_080532.jpg
    20210827_080532.jpg
    870.7 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom