need advice on introduction

peepie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 8, 2007
pacific northwest
I bought two chicks in mid-april. Well turns out one was a rooster so he had to go, they aren't allowed in the city limits here. So not wanting to leave her alone I searched all over for another hen to no avail. So I ended up with three more chicks which are about two weeks old right now and are still in the house.
My questions are that I know I have to wait until they are older to put them in with her but how old is old enough? Also will they just never get along? Should I get rid of my older hen?
Thanks in advance.

they will get along the first hen will allways be top hen.
i got another hen when i had to rehome my rooster as neighbours were complaining despite being told by a family member that you cant put in new hens i got one anyway as i thought it must be able to be done. i put the new one straight in then when the 2 others descended on her i moved the top hen out for a few days in a small pen so she could see the other 2.
then when the top hen went back in everything was fine.
but if you are going to do that the newest ones need to be in the coop/run where you want them to end up and the top hen moved elsewhere for a while and the chicks need to be older enough to handle any pecking

Back
Top Bottom