Need advice on keeping 4 chickens contained

Hello, I have 4 lovely chickens. They have a very large area outside of their pen. I installed a 6ft 6 fence to keep them in this area so that they could be free to roam outside during the day. As soon as I let them out in the morning they fly right over the fence, and now the fence is basically useless. I really don’t want to keep them In the pen all day. Does anyone have any ideas how I can keep my extremely naughty birds I’m their area.
Can you post some pics of your run area, with dimensions of how big the space is?
Also....Welcome to BYC! @9094lauram
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1638315720513.png

I've had to clip wings to keep my more adventurous girls inside the 48" electric poultry netting.

What breeds do you have? My California White, Chipotle, flies like a helicopter but I don't worry about her because she can fly back in -- unlike the others who get out and then pace the fence complaining that they've been separated from the flock.

The POL pullets have seemed to be the most inclined to wander but most of my ladies are larger breeds and end up grounded by their weight as they grow to full size.

I've had to clip wings to keep my more adventurous girls inside the 48" electric poultry netting.

What breeds do you have? My California White, Chipotle, flies like a helicopter but I don't worry about her because she can fly back in -- unlike the others who get out and then pace the fence complaining that they've been separated from the flock.

The POL pullets have seemed to be the most inclined to wander but most of my ladies are larger breeds and end up grounded by their weight as they grow to full size.
I

i have Ameru

i have Ameruacana

hi, I have 4 Ameraucana girls. Lovely little things. I have watched a few tutorials about clipping wings, so I will probably do that!

I

i have Ameru

i have Ameruacana

hi, I have 4 Ameraucana girls. Lovely little things. I have watched a few tutorials about clipping wings, so I will probably do that!

I've heard that those are good fliers.

I found that one clipped wing kept most of the girls in the run. Lickety, IIRC, ended up with both clipped. But now she's too big to fly.

Back
Top Bottom