need advice on my cage setup

cmobley

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
this is my quail cage the females are in the center pen and the males for now are in the door to the far right which is a walled off section of the cage so i can put them in and out with females as i want. The cages to the far left can be used as breeding pens or holding spare males alone. Now my question (and i will add a pic) i have 2 males or i know ones a male not sure about the rosetta yet in the enclosed part(the far right door) of the big pen by themselves. Will they do ok in there not seeing the females right next door?

Last edited:

TwoCrows

🌻🐣🌻
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
Generally as long as they cannot see the females, you can keep males together. It is when they see the girls do they want to kill each other. So I would say you will probably do ok. But just keep an eye on them. Females too. They are known to go off on each other knowing there are males around.

cmobley

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
Ok thanks for the info also these birds are all 6 weeks old and no one is crowing or laying eggs or even acting dominant in any way they all just sit in their sand box and stare out the cage like in a trance is that normal?

cmobley

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
Oh ok good deal i read where people have eggs at 6 weeks and wanted to make sure i wasnt doin somethin right to make mine not lay.

Last edited:

steamer6

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
I am preparing to buy a trio. 1 rooster and 2 hens. They are ok to be in a coup together yes? Let me know.

Stan

cmobley

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
From what i understand you cant have 2 males with females and also you should have 5 to 7 females for every male or else he will run them ragged trying to breed them.

TwoCrows

🌻🐣🌻
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
From what i understand you cant have 2 males with females and also you should have 5 to 7 females for every male or else he will run them ragged trying to breed them.
X2 1 roo to 5 to 7 hens is a good ratio. 1 roo with 2 hens and he WILL end up killing them with over breeding.

Top Bottom