Need advice on my chicks neck

Chickenmama2015

Chirping
Jul 17, 2018
Northern Indiana
So I have this chick that is two weeks old and since hatching has had a crooked neck like pictured. I first I thought that maybe he just had a stiff neck from being all curled up in the egg. As time goes on though it doesn't seem to be improving maybe even getting worse then it previously was to begin with. I currently have all my chicks in a swimming pool with wire on top and when he goes to look out the wire he tips his head so much that his beak is almost tipped upside down completely. He also can't lift his neck strait when he drinks which I included a photo of. He was much younger in this photo but he still does the same thing. None of my other chicks are like this and I have never experienced this in any of my chicks either.

Attachments

• IMG_9894.jpg
    IMG_9894.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9893.jpg
    IMG_9893.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9889 2.jpg
    IMG_9889 2.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9887.jpg
    IMG_9887.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9812.jpg
    IMG_9812.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9802.jpg
    IMG_9802.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9897.JPG
    IMG_9897.JPG
    330.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9896.JPG
    IMG_9896.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 14
I believe this chick should be treated for Wry Neck. I apologize, but I don’t have the exact vitamins and rice. There are several posts and threads on these forums. You may have to help hold the chic’s neck to help her eat, as well. Research Wry Neck and we what you think.

I believe this chick should be treated for Wry Neck. I apologize, but I don’t have the exact vitamins and rice. There are several posts and threads on these forums. You may have to help hold the chic’s neck to help her eat, as well. Research Wry Neck and we what you think.
I don't have to help this chick at all with eating or drinking and is walking fine.
Is it safe for the other chicks as well to get the vitamins or do I need to separate till treated?

he can be with the others and unless the others are showing symptoms. Can you please send us some pictures of the others just to make sure.

These are the most recent photos I have of all the chicks at the moment. I can get photos of all of them together tomorrow if a recent photo is needed of them all.

Attachments

• IMG_9827.JPG
    IMG_9827.JPG
    677.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9834.JPG
    IMG_9834.JPG
    543.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9858.JPG
    IMG_9858.JPG
    326.9 KB · Views: 11
It is also a good idea to use thiamine in wry neck treatment, since some stargazing wry neck cases are from thiamine deficiency, although yours seems to have the torticolis type of wry neck.Most multivitamins for chickens also have thiamine as well as vitamin E. Selenium is a mineral found in egg, tuna, and seeds and nuts. Egg would be suitable for a 2 week old to eat.

Last edited:
You are going to need more than that. When there is a deficiency you have to correct it with larger doses, when it's normal then amounts can drop back down to daily recommended amounts. You can use a human vitamin E capsule, stick it with a pin/needle and squirt it and mix into some food for it to eat. You can also use a human selenium tablet, 1/4 tablet crushed and mixed in. The link I gave you above discusses that.

Back
Top Bottom