Need advice on neighbors dogs causing strife...

DrakeMom

Songster
5 Years
Mar 20, 2019
El Campo, Texas
So every morning and evening I take my dog on a run around the neighborhood. I ride bike and she runs beside me. We live just outside the city limits.

Last Monday I was riding bike like usual when two Chihuahuas run across the road at us. I'm not sure exactly what happened but I think I swerved at them to deter them and my dog ran in front of me to protect me and I ran into her and I fell. I scraped my left knee up...
Screenshot_20210422-081647_Photos.jpg

It was fine and its almost all healed.

Now, 3 days ago(also a Monday🙄 thats why I don't like Mondays) I was again riding bike and had my dog with me. We went past a house with a larger mixed breed dog and 3 Chihuahuas. The larger dog ran out at me and my dog again ran in front of me and of course again... I ran into her and fell.
20210419_213725.jpg

20210419_223613.jpg

I scraped up my right knee this time and also my shoulder, both hands and both feet. The owner of the dog saw me and asked if I was okay and I yelled yes back at him of which he continued to keep yelling and asking cause he couldn't hear(no wonder with 3 Chihuahuas in the house) so I resorted to giving him the thumbs up like 3 times.

Don't worry, I do realize it wasn't all the neighbors dogs fault because my dog shouldn't run in front of me. So I've been training her to stay beside me no matter what is happening. Also, if a dog comes across or onto the road to get us, I will get off my bike and deal with it. I am not scared of dogs at all.

But here's what makes me really mad: yesterday we were on our bike ride/run and I see this man with an ATV and his dog coming towards us. I didnt care at first but then I realized it was the same dog that caused the accident on Monday. The man waved wildly as he passed us and then after he was past and his back was turned, his dog ran at me and tried to bite my leg. Like what the $*#@?!? I didn't kick the dog or anything(which in retrospect, is pry why he didnt carry out the biting) I mean, congrats for taking your dog on a run, but you cannot continue if its going to be a danger to everyone else.

In conclusion, how do I prevent this from continuing to happen? Someone suggested pepper spray. What a shock that would be to his owners!😂 But like how to do they not understand that they need to keep their dog contained. I don't care if a dog barks at me from it yard. But when it comes onto the road... that is not okay.

Last edited:
Spraying that dog is better than you being severely injured. You also risk being hit by a car if the dog runs into the road to get at you. You could get a couple boxes of poppers or a super soaker water gun to try to deter them before you mace them. Maybe the owner will take the hint. Please be careful you falling could result in an injury you could have to deal with the rest of your life. Own your right to be safe, screw them.

Stun gun - you don’t have to make contact, but pressing that button in the dogs face will make him think twice. I take one with me wherever I know people are walking their dogs (especially the idiots with retractable leashes - if you own one throw it out). Saved me from getting bitten by a dog once; also used it when I encountered 2 strays while alone on a walking path.

Stun gun - you don’t have to make contact, but pressing that button in the dogs face will make him think twice. I take one with me wherever I know people are walking their dogs (especially the idiots with retractable leashes - if you own one throw it out). Saved me from getting bitten by a dog once; also used it when I encountered 2 strays while alone on a walking path.
You gotta stay safe ! Most of the time people don't have insurance for their dogs. The courts are no help collecting damages. You end up hurt and broke. I love animals but I don't mess around when I encounter a bad one.

Back
Top Bottom