need advice on new baby chicks

spoiledgachix

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2015
Georgia
Ok I am beginning to think I am not cut out for raising chickens. This is to hard for me! Ok I am starting a new thread for advice. To update, my first flock I got from a backyard breeder that I thought vaccinated but lost 3 out of 4 (two to Marek's and one to Ovarian Ca) My last hen went broody and hatched some eggs that went back to breeder but I did get 5 from her (one died, just was not thriving) so now there is 4. I was told to depopulate when hen died of Mareks but...I still have the 4 my hen i raising and so far so good . But I did order 5 from hatchery that where vaccinated.

So after I waited and was so excited to get these baby's ( I have never had day old chicks but boy are they sooo small!) I already am stressed. I did everything right (since I have done this before with 1 week old chicks) but one died!! She didn't look good this morning and looked like she had a seizure then just died (and I was so excited to get a light Brahma) but now another one is not doing good.

When I went to go check on them, The Australop was laying on her side. I picked her up and she chirped...alot. It seems like she is in pain. If I move her or pick her up she chirps and chirps. I am not chix dr but it looks like one of her legs is not moving. Just kinda hangs. Could she have gotten hurt? Broke it? there isn't anything they can jump on in their brooder. I just don't know what to do. I know without seeing her it not possible to know. I can't stand to see her in pain. I really don't know what to do. I am trying to get water and food but not sure I am. I don't know how to splint a chix foot and not sure that's what it is. Not sure a vet would either.

I know it's impossible to know but thought I would try. I am so upset by all of this. I am not sure having chickens is my thing anymore. I am ready to throw in the towel. It's shameful to even tell my story. I really do treat my chix with lots of love and care!

Oh you poor thing. Something's are out of our control but the first thing you should do is lose that breeders address.
With marecks in the flock it really is best to close the flock. No birds in or out.
There are several reason for chicks dying in the first weeks of life but first lets go through your set up. What is on the floor of the brooder, what temperature is the brooder , what are you feeding them and most importantly, what does their poop look like?

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/baby-chick-basics-what-you-need-to-know.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/39604/some-causes-of-early-chick-mortality

Last edited:
I have pine shaving with paper towels on top (so they will peck at food not shavings) and I made a water bottle with the nipples and I also have a chick water bowl (the ones you buy at tractor supply for baby chicks) and I have a very small cat dish for their food. I have a little card board box in their with some shavings for them to rest in if they want. I have an lamp that is temp controlled and have it at 93-94. I did the same thing with my other flock. They go down so fast. The Brahma yesterday was the first to go to water source and showed the others. I was saying she will be the leader even though she was the smallest. And she dies.

The Australop was lying on her left side with feet straight out. I thought she was gone but I picked her up and she just chirped and chirped. I know she is in pain but can't figure where or how. I did notice her right foot isn't moving and she was lying on her left side. I hate to see her in pain. I don't want to lose her but don't want to see her suffer....She is quiet when she is left alone and I have her in the brooder but separated from others. The minute you pick her up she cries out.

They are very vulnerable in the first week. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. :)
Dehydration is a big factor in chick mortality , make sure they are all drinking. What does the poop look like ?
Here's a link on possible foot and leg problems and a source for purchasing ' save a chick ' vitamin and electrolytes to add to their water.
I would offer some soft , just cooked scrambled egg and perhaps a little soft cooked rice.
It's a pity you can't post a pic. :(

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/...84af9fa2600f00000499/533884b09fa2600f000004ae

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I read it I tried to stretching in case her tendon was dislocated. She is drinking water and eating a little but wants to sleep mostly. (not good) she shakes her head a lot (?). Maybe there is more going on than I can help with. I will see how she is in the morning. Kills me to see her in pain.

Yes I am. Update on the baby chick. She cried all day yesterday. I did the pulling of the leg. When I went to go check on her this morning she was laying on her side. I thought she was gone but to my surprise she wasn't so I gave her water and some food. I couldn't believe it but she sat up! She is not crying as much but sleeping alot. She does sit up which is more than she did yesterday and today her eyes opened. Yesterday she had them closed all day. She is taking food and water that I give her (water with electrolytes, I gave her Poly-vi-so not iron, she is eating yogurt, eggs and crumbles. She is incredible the fight she has. I just can't believe she is still alive. I will keep going as long as she has has the will. The only issue I worry about most is she keeps bobbing her head. It won't stay still. Is this neurological or will get better as she gains (hopefully) her strength? I am taking it one day at a time. Is there something else I can do. Should I give her Vit B?

Thanks for all the help.

Yes I am. Update on the baby chick. She cried all day yesterday. I did the pulling of the leg. When I went to go check on her this morning she was laying on her side. I thought she was gone but to my surprise she wasn't so I gave her water and some food. I couldn't believe it but she sat up!  She is not crying as much but sleeping alot. She does sit up which is more than she did yesterday and today her eyes opened. Yesterday she had them closed all day. She is taking food and water that I give her (water with electrolytes, I gave her Poly-vi-so not iron, she is eating yogurt, eggs and crumbles. She is incredible the fight she has. I just can't believe she is still alive. I will keep going as long as she has has the will. The only issue I worry about most is she keeps bobbing her head. It won't stay still. Is this neurological or will get better as she gains (hopefully) her strength? I am taking it one day at a time. Is there something else I can do. Should I give her Vit B? 

Thanks for all the help.

The head bobbing could be the result of a peck to the head. Polyvisol is often recommended as it more readily available in case of emergency. A good poultry multi vitamin is preferable. They are usually more palatable for the bird.
Vitamin B1 / thiamine deficiency is often the culprit in wryneck or stargazing. Ataxia begins in the legs and eventually the bird will have the classic ' neck twisting '
A good multi vit will contain thiamine.

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/...84af9fa2600f00000499/533884b09fa2600f000004ae

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/CerebralHernia/CerebralHernia.html

Last edited:
I saw this at tractor supply but it didn't seem to have Vit B1 ( I don't think) but I think I will get it anyway. I heard that VIt E is also good and it has it. This chick has such a will to live. I can't believe how strong she is even with not eating a whole lot. She wants to do everything herself like drink water but with the head bob she takes awhile. Today she climbed up on my lap. She is still unsteady on her feet but I do see improvement. Hope for the best.

Also I think what may have happened (just guessing of course) is maybe the two ran into each other and got hurt? They run around so fast and the Brahma is the smallest so maybe they hit each other in the head???? Can that be possible They where near each other and both hurt. Not sure but maybe?

Back
Top Bottom