Need advice on roosting bars

jessabender

In the Brooder
May 4, 2020
Northeast Wisconsin
Hey all! We’re finally to the point of putting up roosting bars in our small coop (3’Wx5’L) and I’d like some advice on how far it needs to be from the wall (closed door), and how far from each other if I have 2 roosting bars? Also, what are your thoughts on parallel roosting bars? There is only about 18-19 inches of wall space on that right side before you get to the window.
024064A7-7554-40E3-BF00-5442A5DCDC9E.jpeg

Ok, thanks! I have 5 standard sized birds...do you think 1 bar would suffice or will 2 be necessary? I’ve read I should have 12” of space for each bird on the bar, but it’ll only span 36”.

You're going to need 2 with a 36" span. It's not that chickens are 12" wide, but they need space to fly up onto the bars, flapping wings and all. Doesn't mean they won't try to squeeze onto one bar, but better to give them the option of not having to do so, to reduce fighting over roost spots.

In the summer, they will also space themselves further apart on the bars than they do in the winter because of the heat so more space is always better. If they get cold in the winter, they will cuddle closer together. I have also had birds that will sleep (and poop) in nesting boxes if they don't think there is enough space or they are at the bottom of the pecking order and get pushed off. So @rosemarythyme suggestion is good, 2 36" roost is the best plan for that space. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom