Need advice on what this could be and what needs to be done

Td310

Hatching
Jul 16, 2018
Hello, I'm a new member here one of my hens has what looks to be poop that is stuck in her vent. She pushes to try to get it out but she hasn't had any luck at it. When she does push white diarrhea like poop comes out. She has been eating and drinking. When she does poop she has started to cluck like it hurts. Stands and walks but also does a bit of laying around. She is approximately 2 to 2 1/2 months old. If anyone can help or if I need to add pictures please let me know. Thank you in advance

Welcome to BYC. You may want to place her in a warm bucket of soapy water, and clean off the poop, then dry her well. Take a picture of what you see on her vent. I am wondering if she might be constipated. That might be due to not drinking enough, or a blockage somewhere in her digestive tract.

She is too young for a typical prolapsed vent that layers have, but it can happen with constipation. Feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full, soft, hard, or puffy. In early morning, it should feel empty before she eats and drinks.

Poop stuck on vents should always be removed since flies can lay maggot eggs there which can cause flystrike which can kill.

Thanks for your response we had soaked her and cleaned her vent for about the past three days a few times a day to try to get it to move.
Unfortunately she had died earlier today. I did feel her crop everyday a few times and it would be empty or nearly empty every morning she would eat later in the day it would feel full. So everything seemed to be working as it should have, I was able to grab with gloves whatever it was but it didn't seem to want to pull out and I didn't want to pull to hard or on something that was attached. Hopefully it doesn't happen to any of the others but being new to chickens it would be nice to know what can be done if anything if it would happen again.
Thanks again for your response

Welcome to BYC. You may want to place her in a warm bucket of soapy water, and clean off the poop, then dry her well. Take a picture of what you see on her vent. I am wondering if she might be constipated. That might be due to not drinking enough, or a blockage somewhere in her digestive tract.

She is too young for a typical prolapsed vent that layers have, but it can happen with constipation. Feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full, soft, hard, or puffy. In early morning, it should feel empty before she eats and drinks.

Poop stuck on vents should always be removed since flies can lay maggot eggs there which can cause flystrike which can kill.
X2!

Look up sourcrop and vent Gleet to see if she might have that.

Cut treats and give only starter grower to them and give them some chick grit

edited to add: I am sorry you lost here! Follow rebrascora's advice and see if you can figure out what she had. That way you can help the flock if it is something that might kill more of them

I'm so sorry you lost your girl. Can you post photos of her back end and do you feel able to cut her open to see what the problem might have been or better still send her for a professional necropsy? If you are in the USA, your state veterinary or agricultural diagnostics lab would be the place to send her. Her body would need to be refrigerated and shipped on ice.

Very sorry about your loss. I agree that a necropsy, either a home one or professional one, may help you discover what might have been wrong. I would wonder about a blockage from swallowing something that got stuck in her gizzard, and caused an intestinal blockage and death. Look for any black sections of her bowel, and open the gizzard to look at contents.

I do a lot of hunting so doing one would not be a big deal for me. I should have thought about doing it but we already disposed of it. The other 5 seem to be doing very well. This hen that had the issue was the same one that had a poopy butt two days after we got them, we obviously soaked it in warm water and cleaned it up then and nothing wrong again till last week. When we first found this gen with this issue last week she was out in the run in the morning then in the afternoon she was in the coop and it looked like a horror film was played out inside the coop, a fair amount of blood, and all others were outside while this one just sat in the coop by itself. Nothing got into the coop and no signs of an injury, so we separated this one treated with Corbin and took treated feed away. After two days she showed signs of improvement then this issue started and it was just a downward spiral from there. Like I said prior it looked like the typical chicken poop that stuck out. I could grab it but it wouldn't pull out as the hen was pushing. A few times during that process she would get White diarrhea to come out. The only other sign of something I can think of is that she had pulled the feathers out around her vent and would try to reach back and peck that area. Should the others get any more vitamins other than the medicated food now or the Corbin in the water? Just to be proactive or since they seem quite happy just keep an eye on them. Thank you all again

Back
Top Bottom