Need advice on what watt bulb I need for my chicks?

Quincy Hibbler

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2019
I am going to buy 10 baby chicks on Monday. I will be raising them in my bedroom until they get 6 weeks then I will move them outside with the heat lamp as well. I am wondering what watt bulb I need for my heat lamp. My bedroom stays at room temperature until it gets to hot then I turn on the air. At night I turn the air on in my room to sleep. Please help me find out what watt bulb I need because I don’t want them to be to hot with the wrong bulb and to cold because my air is on.

Better buy a heating pad that does have stay one feature take wire hardware cloth is easy it is stiff make U out of lay heating pad on it they are good can get out when they are warm,
stay under if cold

I am going to buy 10 baby chicks on Monday. I will be raising them in my bedroom until they get 6 weeks then I will move them outside with the heat lamp as well. I am wondering what watt bulb I need for my heat lamp. My bedroom stays at room temperature until it gets to hot then I turn on the air. At night I turn the air on in my room to sleep. Please help me find out what watt bulb I need because I don’t want them to be to hot with the wrong bulb and to cold because my air is on.
I have my lamp on some chicks right now but it’s late at night and can’t go check but here’s a site i found. http://www.plamondon.com/wp/5-brooder-lamp-safety-tips/

First off knowing your general location will help a lot, to know your temperatures.

I suggest you rethink brooding in the bedroom - if you must raise them indoors, pick some other place to raise them, such as a bathroom, some place where there won't be a fan blowing on them. Also they'll shed large amounts of dander while you're raising them, which is not ideal for you to sleep next to.

A heat pad or heat plate would be recommended also whether brooding indoors or out, as it gives chicks a more natural day/night cycle (so you don't listen to them up all night) and it lets them dictate when they need heat and when they don't.

Is your coop built yet? If so, and you can run electricity out there, much better to brood them outdoors.

Either way, unless you live at the South Pole, you really can move them out a lot sooner than 6 weeks and they won't need heat at 6 weeks either.

Back
Top Bottom