Need advice. One gosling is a lot smaller

NeudorfValleyFarm

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2022
Hi,

Need advice. I have two 1 week old Goslings, they are Sebastopol Geese. One is thriving and doing really well. The other I’ve had a lot of issues with. A lot smaller, couldn’t walk (have since given Vitamin B3 in food, water therapy etc as walking again). Worried as the little one is about a third or half the size. The little one also has very very runny poo. Please see images.

Thanks 🙏🏻

Attachments

• 484B59F6-2674-4D44-B21F-0961CEF07503.jpeg
    484B59F6-2674-4D44-B21F-0961CEF07503.jpeg
    648.8 KB · Views: 32
  • B4491EDA-C22B-4583-994B-8841E623EF9D.jpeg
    B4491EDA-C22B-4583-994B-8841E623EF9D.jpeg
    672.2 KB · Views: 9
  • A1E22F85-A6CA-469E-921C-35DC7A63BAA5.jpeg
    A1E22F85-A6CA-469E-921C-35DC7A63BAA5.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 886AB030-1FE9-4DCB-9A82-70DE0967AAAA.jpeg
    886AB030-1FE9-4DCB-9A82-70DE0967AAAA.jpeg
    556.9 KB · Views: 9
  • B255D52B-4695-4EA0-9C20-5028F0E8D7A1.jpeg
    B255D52B-4695-4EA0-9C20-5028F0E8D7A1.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 9
Do you have a multi vitamin mix? Sometimes if they’re vitamin deficient in one thing they’re deficient in multiple vitamins.

Vitamin deficiency can also weaken the body and lead to infections, sometimes it’s the other way around, if there’s aparasite or an intestinal infection it will cause vitamin deficiencies.

The best thing to do would be to get some fecal testing to sort out what’s causing the runny droppings, but if that isn’t an option I would start them on Corid.
If it’s something like giardia, worms, or a bacterial infection treatment would require wormer or antibiotics depending on what exactly is going on.

@Miss Lydia @ColtHandorf do you have anyexpierience with an issue like this?

Do you have a multi vitamin mix? Sometimes if they’re vitamin deficient in one thing they’re deficient in multiple vitamins.

Vitamin deficiency can also weaken the body and lead to infections, sometimes it’s the other way around, if there’s aparasite or an intestinal infection it will cause vitamin deficiencies.

The best thing to do would be to get some fecal testing to sort out what’s causing the runny droppings, but if that isn’t an option I would start them on Corid.
If it’s something like giardia, worms, or a bacterial infection treatment would require wormer or antibiotics depending on what exactly is going on.

@Miss Lydia @ColtHandorf do you have anyexpierience with an issue like this?
Feeding them chick starter. Green peas (since the little one became weak, think it has helped its recovery), fresh water and grass clippings. Was there a multi vitamin you recommended. First time owning geese so learning it all as I go.

Rooster booster Poultry Cell comes highly recommended.

Since you are feeding grass clippings and peas are you offering grit? Any time we offer treats [grass peas etc] they need to have grit and when young chick grit is best.

Does the gosling have a good appetite? I'd def get it on the poultry cell asap. and warm water therapy to help strengthen legs.
Since it started out with a niacin deficiency there is a good chance this may be what you're seeing and it just needs time to catch up. If it's eating good and interacting normally with it's buddy. Are you able to take them outside or is it too cold? If it's warm enough taking them outside for some supervised exercise can help too fresh air and sunshine. Short trips of maybe 15 mins to start. My goslings loved being outside and it helps to build leg strength too and getting them use to all the things their immune systems need to stay healthy.
Here is so info on raising goslings/geese.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/geese.31/

:welcome

Last edited:
Hard Boil egg "yolk" (duck-chicken-goose) is the best way to give them imidate energy... Poultry Cell is a great booster But is the baby holding its heat. Even in the summer heat is very important for the young ones. If it got behind it may need more access to heat than the other one. I have lost a few runner babies because they wanted to keep up with the rest of the flock but needed more time to reheat there bodies. Yes they were in with my goslings... I made mistakes by trying to get them in water when what they needed was more brooder time. If your giving green like peas are you supplying some form of grit. Even a bit of sandy dirt can help them find what they need for there gizzard to digest a pea.
My best thought would be get a good flock raiser crumble get some nutritional yeast or brewers yeast and add it.

Back
Top Bottom