need advice please on pekin duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kari1981, Oct 13, 2014.

1. kari1981

kari1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2014
    I have a 6 month old pekin female that's been coughing off and on for a month. Recently she has been coughing excessively. I have administered tylan liquid for 4 days now with no results. She still continues to cough alot. There are no other noticeable symptoms. She eats drinks,swims,plays normal. What else can i do to help her. I have no money for the vet

2. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes its the bedding. Mine cough on occasion and it can be dust or mould in their bedding and some ducks are worse affected than others. Im always terrified it has something to do with worms so if they start coughing I worm them. Some people give apple cider vinegar or garlic or honey, or all three. Ive put apple cider vinegar in the water - it has to be organic, the refined one wont do - as I read that it restores ph to gut and crop and is good against worms and other ills. It worked a treat on my drake - who is the worst for coughing - and he seemed to love it.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Worms was something I thought of also. Are the nares (nostrils) clear? If they don't wash their heads often and snoot water through their nares, those can get clogged up and that can lead to sinus infections.

4. kari1981

Jun 23, 2014
    Her nose is clear,no signs of discharge, that i can see. How can you tell if there's discharge? Half the time her nose is wet from dunking in water. Since ive been doing tylan and her cough is same I'm beginning to think worms. My other 7 have no coughing. Her coughing is getting worse. I didnt do the tylan injections,i injected it into peas. Im a lil afraid of injecting them after reading the side effects of muscle damage. Maybe im not getting enough medicine in her then.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is there any way for you to make a video and upload it?

6. kari1981

Jun 23, 2014
    Yeah ill get a video of it and get it uploaded . She coughs a lot so im sure i can catch it

7. kari1981

Jun 23, 2014
    how can i upload video on here

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It needs to be on youtube or vimeo, then you insert a link using the icon to the right of the photo icon up on the toolbar above.

9. kari1981

Jun 23, 2014

this is the link of Pebbles coughing, around 12 secs area

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That high pitched squeaky cough is what some of my ducks do when they get something like straw in their throats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by