Need advice please on rooster and flock

Jun 8, 2020
Tillsonburg, Ont, Canada
I have gotten a new rooster as my welsummer died of old age and I butchered my older girls as they were barely laying ....so new rooster had been separated for 2 weeks to make sure all healthy and my new hens are 18 weeks old not laying yet....I do have 1 silkie rooster 7 months and 1 silkie rooster 4 months along with 2 mature silkie hens laying and 5 that should start laying soon can introduce my new rooster to the rest hes big another welsummer ....was thinking of introducing in dog kennel for a few days and back to private space for the night

Attachments

• 20200918_125720.jpg
    20200918_125720.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 12
How old is the new rooster? He looks fairly well grown up.

was thinking of introducing in dog kennel for a few days and back to private space for the night

Yes, you could do that.

Personally, I would be inclined to just stick him in the pen with the others and watch what happens. If it doesn't go well, you can pull him out and do it gradually with dog kennel.

How old is the new rooster? He looks fairly well grown up.

Yes, you could do that.

Personally, I would be inclined to just stick him in the pen with the others and watch what happens. If it doesn't go well, you can pull him out and do it gradually with dog kennel.
New rooster is 6 months and was mating already before I got him....I traded a silkie rooster for him as he looks exactly like the one that died

New rooster is 6 months and was mating already before I got him

I think there's a good chance you can just put him in and have him be fine.
He can't effectively bully EVERYONE at once, and he's probably mature enough to stand up to the hens if they try to bully him.
And the silkie cockerels might be young enough or submissive enough to just not fight with him.

Of course watch and be ready to pull him out again if it doesn't work. But if it does work, it saves time and effort for you, and he won't have to spend so much time penned up.

Ok great the silkie roosters are pretty calm ....the briwn hens won't let them mate and I've only seen him mount 2 of the silkie hens so far....the younger silkie isn't even crowing yet so don't think he will be a problem

Back
Top Bottom