Need advice please...

spatcher

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Virginia - Southside
I have 8 adult hens and a roo. I am feeding them a mix of crumbles and scratch. They also have oyster shells available to them at all times. Having stated this, will they need grit as well? They have a dirt run but are not free ranging. Thanx in advance!

As long as they have access to dirt/small pebbles they should be fine. They'll pick up their own. If it's just really fine dirt, you might want to occassionaly throw a handful of tiny pebbles in for them.

Oyster shell isn't ideal because if they feel compelled to eat it for it's grinding properties they can end up getting too much calcium. And it certainly isn't good for the rooster. No eggs in there!
lol.png

I'd buy a bag and have it free choice- you'd be surprised how little they'll take if they're getting it in they're run. I only have to buy a bag about every 3 years and I have 30 adults. I think it's worth it.
smile.png

Oyster shells are not a substitute for grit. the oyster shells break down in the crop and do not grind the food. Oyster shells are absorbed by the chicken, hence stronger eggs, the grit does not break down therefore ; stays in the crop to grind the food.

I feed my penned chickens(breeders) grit occasionally. I try to let them out every so often, but if I can't I throw in a little grit in their feed. The ones that free-range,I don't worry about.

Back
Top Bottom