Need advice please

wilsonfarm416

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Brighton
So I have 5 Original birds that are 12 weeks old. 2 weeks ago I bought 2 birds from a lady brought them home and realized they were sick(nasal and drainage sneezing). I called the lady and she gave me 2 different birds plus one for free. I was weary so I treated them with tetracycline treated water for 7 days and the new birds have been fine. I never introduced the old or the new birds to the original flock. My question is how long should I observe and segregate the new birds before I can introduce them to the old flock?

At least a month, although some diseases can be carried forever without clinical signs (like MG), so you may want to have them tested before introducing them.

Not sure where you live, but usually you can call your state ag department and they'll do it for you, or a veterinarian. MG = Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (hopefully I spelled that right).
lol.png

Quote:
Congratulations for observing biosecurity protocol! If you introduce the 2 birds that you got from that lady to your other birds, even though you treated them with tetracycline....your other birds will get infected. Those 2 birds are carriers of whatever disease thay have and always will be. I recommend that you keep them seperated permanently, or cull. There is no telling which respiratory disease they have, there are many. I suspect MG as stated by KellyHM as well. Here's a link to respiratory diseases and a link to MG:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034
Edited: Both these links are down right now, but should be available later.

Last edited:
well I am calling the lady who gave them to me and she can give me my money back and cull them her self! Thank you for the helpful info. I am so glad I didn't expose my original flock because I just love those girls. Hey I have another question this one is about my original girls. Some of them have really runny poop any suggestions?

true Dawg53 I will cull them and prevent the spread. The lady was claiming to be selling them for 4H and I will be contacting the local 4H people and reporting her. I have connections in the 4H so I will be getting to the bottom of this. It is just a shame that people can be so careless. With the recent passing of new laws in this state there has been a surg of chicken sellers and buyers and a lot of people are just in it for the money and don't care about the birds it is just a shame.

Back
Top Bottom