need advice please

slordaz

hatchaholic
5 Years
Apr 15, 2015
Idaho
Any suggestions, on securing to stop break outs?
we haven't had anything get into the coop/run but today we were out of town at time they normally are let out for free ranging, we put a bungie chord across the door and hooked a screen door coil too and checked door was secure. When we got home they had opened the door of the covered run and and let themselves out to free range, half of them had also put themselves back into an outer area we have for feeding them that is not covered but enclosed.

We got one chicken though that is an escape artist. the good news is they were all accounted for.

Last edited:
What kind of door are you talking about? A chicken pop door or a human door?

Human door, just put a regular latch on it and secure it with a spring link.

My pop door is guillotine style. My chickens can't raise it up to get out. I have it to where you can't open it from the outside either.

it's an old wood barn door on the run so no handle nor latch
You need to add a handle and latch. Something to secure the door, otherwise it will give predators a way in and could wipe out your entire flock.

Click on pic for a close up. You can get latches in many sizes, and just use a spring link to secure it.

that's why we had the bungie cord fastened off to one side and the screen door spring coil fastened across the opposite way. in 3 months haven't had anything get in, and first time chickens have literally busted out.

guess will do a latch with a pad lock and hope that keeps em from doing it again

You need to add a handle and latch. Something to secure the door, otherwise it will give predators a way in and could wipe out your entire flock.

Click on pic for a close up. You can get latches in many sizes, and just use a spring link to secure it.

Off topic, but... what kind of fasteners did you use to secure your hardware cloth to that frame? I've been using those u-shaped nails and they are a pain, at best. Many smashed fingers... it looks like you've got a better solution.

Off topic, but... what kind of fasteners did you use to secure your hardware cloth to that frame? I've been using those u-shaped nails and they are a pain, at best. Many smashed fingers... it looks like you've got a better solution.

DISREGARD! You answered my question in another post.

Thanks, they haven't gotten back out on their own again but for good measure put a heavy metal milk container in front of the closed door for good measure too

Back
Top Bottom