Do I need a run?

khoehne

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2023
Catskills, NY State
Hi all - we just purchased a home with a 6x8 raised, windowless coop. It's got a front door with a little entry ramp and hatches in the back to access eggs. It feels pretty secure because it's a few feet off the ground, but there's no run.

We're free ranging the chickens now, so they're out during the day, but I'm wondering what to do in the winter once we get snow. Do I need a run? Would windows be enough? We may move the coop eventually so I'm trying to avoid doing something permanent.

Pics of coop? How many chickens? Is there any ventilation in the coop at all?

In that size coop, you're going to want a run they can be in during the winter months. The general rule of thumb for bare minimum of space is ~4 sq. ft/chicken in the coop and ~10 sq. ft. / chicken in the run (the 4 sq ft in the coop is if they're only using it for sleeping and laying, not if they have to be locked in it for long periods).

Mine free range all day, but I also have a covered run for them to hang out in on rainy days, etc. The run also serves as a place for new chickens - broody momma keeps her brood close to the run until she is ready to rejoin the flock. The littles then stay close to the run most of the day - they venture out mornings and evenings and scratch around. When they are bigger, then rooster collects them and integrates them in the flock. Then the run is pretty empty most of the time until the next brood.

The run also serves as a feeding/watering station for hens who lay during the day in this hot weather. It is also a collection point at night. Mine are all in the run by sunset to partake of their last meal/water before going into the coop to roost. At this point I can lock up the run and although it is not predator proof, I can walk away and do other chores while they are all settling down prior to going to roost in the secure coop.

Long story to say, it probably isn't necessary, but it sure is convenient.

Hi all - we just purchased a home with a 6x8 raised, windowless coop. It's got a front door with a little entry ramp and hatches in the back to access eggs. It feels pretty secure because it's a few feet off the ground, but there's no run.

We're free ranging the chickens now, so they're out during the day, but I'm wondering what to do in the winter once we get snow. Do I need a run? Would windows be enough? We may move the coop eventually so I'm trying to avoid doing something permanent.

For the winter: it depends on your climate.
In some places, you can let the chickens range all year long.
In some places, cold and snow and wind mean that no "run" will do much good, unless it has a roof and some solid walls-- by which point it's pretty much just a big coop.
For plenty of places in between, a run with a roof can let the chickens spend time outside without getting rained on, and without walking through snow.

I would definitely add windows, regardless of whether you add a run or not.

With a 6 x 8 foot coop, if the chickens have to stay inside it all winter, I would not try to keep more than about 6 chickens. If they can go outside for most of each day, that same size coop is big enough for about a dozen chickens. (Those numbers are approximate, because some individual chickens demand extra space, while some others-- especially small bantams-- can get by with a bit less space each.)

I've read in your introduction that you are new to chicken keeping. Now I've read you are new to the area you live in. You mention snow so I'll assume cold as well.
Free ranging sounds great and I've done it, without a run as backup. I had decent weather (Catalonia, Spain) and the chickens came out every day.
What you need to know apart from the weather is what predators you have. You may find that you lose a lot of chickens to predators when free ranging and you don't mention having a rooster or a plan for broody hens to replace the inevitable looses free ranging will incur.
A lot of new keepers try free ranging only to find a few weeks later they've lost many and sometimes all of their flock to predation.
You can fill in your location on your profile page. This will help people give advice relevant to the area you live in. A couple of pictures of your coop might be helpful.

For the winter: it depends on your climate.
In some places, you can let the chickens range all year long.
In some places, cold and snow and wind mean that no "run" will do much good, unless it has a roof and some solid walls-- by which point it's pretty much just a big coop.
For plenty of places in between, a run with a roof can let the chickens spend time outside without getting rained on, and without walking through snow.

I would definitely add windows, regardless of whether you add a run or not.

With a 6 x 8 foot coop, if the chickens have to stay inside it all winter, I would not try to keep more than about 6 chickens. If they can go outside for most of each day, that same size coop is big enough for about a dozen chickens. (Those numbers are approximate, because some individual chickens demand extra space, while some others-- especially small bantams-- can get by with a bit less space each.)
This is helpful, thanks! We have a dozen and are planning on slaughtering half for meat before the snow comes, so we'll have six indoors all winter. I'll add windows and then try some run ideas. We are in the Catskills in NY so we do get quite a bit of snow; might just need to expand the coop then if we want a bigger flock.

Back
Top Bottom