Need advice quick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jloeffler, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    I have three eggs ready to go into lockdown today and I have a hen who just decided to go broody 2 days ago. She is sitting on one egg only. Can I, or better yet should I, put my three under her and let them hatch? Or at this points it best to leave them where they are? Thanks in advance for any help on this topic!

2. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    I think you better leave them where they are.. I think 3 days is soon and you wouldn't want her to get off of them or worse eat them.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Nobody can accurately predict what they will do. They are living animals, each with their own personality. There is a current thread where a lady put young chicks under a hen that had only been broody a couple of days and it looks like she accepted them. That one could have easily gone another way. I wait at least two days to give any broody eggs just to make sure she is serious about being broody.

I don't know how valuable those eggs are to you. There is a risk involved any time a broody is involved, but there are also risks in an incubator. I don't think chickens can count days all that well but I'm also not sure how those hormones that control being broody really work.

I'd probably risk it with my eggs, but I hatch my own and can always put a few in the incubator if I need more chickens. And I really like having a broody raise them. I think there is a fairly good chance she will hear them in the eggs as they prepare to hatch and that will get her in the right mood, but there is always a risk. I think your risks are less than the lady that got a new broody to accept young chicks since she will actually hatch them herself, but that depends on the personality of your individual hen.

Good luck!

4. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Thank you very much for the advice, which is why I asked! Having you share your experiences/opinions helps me to better weigh the options as I see them and calculate what the risks might be for me. Not to mention make sure I didn't miss anything! Again, than you!

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Not to long ago I had a young wyandotte go broody for about a week. I went and got some mini white turkeys and she took to them, better then they did to her at first needless to say that lasted about 24 hours, than a sang coon broke into their coop and aye all 5 of them. It was an experiment that I was trying and I think it would have worked. Stupid coons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by