Need advice, should I medicate these chickens and when can I bring them to my flock?

I am not positive, but I think a couple of years ago, Ridgerunner had a flock like this, and she did bring them back to health, You might PM her, or search her, But she did keep them separate.

Mrs K
I think you might mean Beekissed?

Update: The chicken with the eye that's closed, she's still breathing weird on and off, I spent a few minutes with them today. And I hear some of them make sounds that sound like sneezing? I see them wipe their beaks on the dirt, but I don't see anything else wrong with them. I see some of their pupils that contract and move which is a good sign right? I don't see any discharge or anything else, but I also don't think they are as active as they could be? I'm not sure, they're in a 6x20 space, my birds are always doing something for the most part, but they also have unlimited space do stuff.

Also, How do you know if a bird is too sick to eat?

Last edited by a moderator:
At Donrae and op - I think Donrae is right, I think it was beekissed.

They don't eat if they are too sick to eat.

None of this sounds good, I think you need to cull anything that is breathing weird.

I am beginning to think I would NEVER put these girls with my established flock. Sometimes you can be too soft hearted.

MRs K

Last edited:
Update: Now that chicken with one eye closed, the other eye, there's foamy bubbles on it. The rooster is also closing and opening one of his eyes. I'm just not sure how to tell if these birds are safe to eat and if I should butcher one chicken at a time to see if the others get better or what. This morning I gave them their scrambled eggs that I didn't want to eat becuase I treated them with ivermectim, I put cinnamon in there too and cayenne pepper also with shredded carrots, they all came to eat, even the one with two weird eyes now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd cull, discard and disinfect everything.

None of it sounds good especially with your cock bird getting symptoms in 5 days. Not good at all. Cull them all and hope it didn't spread to your other birds via your boots.

None of it sounds good especially with your cock bird getting symptoms in 5 days. Not good at all. Cull them all and hope it didn't spread to your other birds via your boots.
So, are they safe to eat? That's my concern. I probably will be culling them soon, I'll need to get supplies because I simply just thought they had mites.

And like I said, it's just him closing his eyes. I googled this but I couldn't find anything with chickens just simply closing their eyes

Crap, I forgot, they were treated with ivermectim two weeks ago.... I think the withdrawal for meat consumption is 28 days.... Does anyone have anymore information on this?

My question is, are you honestly hungry enough to eat sick and medicated birds? Honey, if the answer is truly yes, PM me and I'll send you a gift card to buy some groceries. Just cull the birds, use the carcasses as fertilizer for a nice bush or tree or flower bed, disinfect and move on.

Back
Top Bottom