need advice to catch a chicken

maco5

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
San Jose, CA
dont know where to post this so i hope noone gets mad at me!
I was referred to a home today that has a stray chicken in their backyard. It has been there a couple of weeks, and the homeowner has asked neighbors about it and noone claims it.
I went there today with a crate, food, and some fresh corn, thinking I could lure it into the crate, or at least get close enough to catch it.
Well, she caught on pretty quickly, and stayed far away from me! She jumped up on the fence, and at one point went over to the other side.
Does anyone have any tricks to help me?
I dont think the homeowner will allow enough time to get her to maybe eat from her hand, or anything like that.
I left my crate there and asked the homeowner to only put food in the crate, so that the chicken gets used to going inside for food.
The problem is, obviously she can get up over the fence and I cant get her!
I was thinking if another person was at one end with a net, maybe we could get her.
But if that doesn't work, I don't know what else to do.
The homeowners dog is terrified of it!
The chicken is a game type, with long legs.
I am hoping if I get her I can eventually integrate her into my flock after a quarantine period, unless she wants to kill mine!
If she is aggressive, I will try to find her a new home.
but I have to catch her first!!
HELP!!!!!! And thanks in advance!
Wendy

Fishing net. With a very long handle. We have used our dipnets on occasion.
Ask around, I am sure you can find one that you can at least borrow.

You don't have a live trap? Maybe your local dog catcher has one to let you barrow. Around here that is no big deal to them, but everywhere is different. I'm thinking some good old yellow corn (so it sees it good) at the end of a live trap.
It certainly doesn't help that it is a game bird.
Hope this helps a bit. I think maybe it will just stay wild and in their backyard. lol

Two teenage neighbors spent a couple of hours chasing down and catching my roo for me.

I bribed them with Girl Scout cookies.
big_smile.png

Watch to see where she roosts.
If you can, use a ladder to get to her after dark, you should be able to get her. If she is too high up, get a 2 x 4, and push the end of it gently under her chest after dark, and she will step up onto it. Then lower it slowly and steady until you can reach her.

Don't laugh...we do it all the time with DH's games in the trees when we need to catch them for our USDA testing.

Jean

thanks everyone for the suggestions!
I do have a live trap, however, not sure the hen weighs enough to trip it, and since it isnt my house, not sure the homeowners will be too happy if other things get caught.
The net seems to be the best chance if I am able to get her cornered somehow!
The homeowner doesn't want her hanging around because she has destroyed her garden.
They have been very kind to her though feeding her, etc.
I'll keep everyone posted on the progress!

forgot to say that they don't know where she goes to roost at night.
I dont know these people, so it isn't easy to ask alot of them, and to hang around until she roosts.
The woman is very nice but her husband is kind of a grumpy know it all type.
So yeah, the obvious choices aren't that easy to carry out!

Very smart to wait till dark and find where she roosts. Good luck!

I once did an open house when I was selling houses and had a rooster come in the house. I couldn't get him to leave! I tried chasing him out but he came back in, and I found him on the bed in the master bedroom! I tried chasing him again and he turned on me and tried chasing me off! I couldn't believe my luck that day! It was hilarious! Just thought I'd share the funny story. Chickens are crazy!

Back
Top Bottom