NEED ADVICE WITH SITTING HEN PLEASE...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rescuedrvr4u, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Rescuedrvr4u

Rescuedrvr4u Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    I have a hen that went broody. I put eggs under her March 27th. She has been perfect. Only off a couple times to stretch, eat, drink, etc. To my calculation, I thought the babies would be due this past Tues, April 17th. Got home from work, ran down there...Nothin'. Here it is Fri., and still...NOTHIN'. I was able to candle 2 of the eggs Wed. night, and there definately is/was something in both, but understand that trying to get this usually calm, sweet precious hens eggs is like trying to wrestle a rabid pitbull. If the chicks have died, which I can't imagine all 4 have, wouldn't she get off the eggs? I don't know what to think/do. Usually nobody answers my questions on this site, but I could use some input. Thanks.

2. Rescuedrvr4u

Dec 19, 2011
    WOW!!!!!! Thanks everybody. I appreciate it.

3. m.r.heavenlyhens

m.r.heavenlyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I would probably give them one more day, just to be sure, but after 24 days, I would really doubt that they are live. I usually put about 8 to 10 under my hens and I have only had one hen hatch 8 at one time. There are usually 2 to 5 that don't hatch and I have to take out of the nest because the other chicks are all fluffy and getting out of nest and mom is still waiting on the eggs.

4. m.r.heavenlyhens

Jul 19, 2011
    Can you replace them with fresh eggs? It sounds like she is a great broody, just bad luck of none of eggs being fertile or something else wrong.[​IMG]

5. Farmin Momma

Farmin Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Mill Creek, Wa
    Either that or get her some day old chicks from the farm supply store and put them under her at night, at the same time taking out the eggs. Then keep a close eye on them in the morning to make sure they are accepting eachother.

6. Rescuedrvr4u

Dec 19, 2011
    Thank you very much. I will give her another day, then maybe put some fresh guinea and polish eggs under her. Thanks again!!

7. m.r.heavenlyhens

Jul 19, 2011
    Just wondering how it went with your broody. I hope you are giving her some fertile eggs, sounds like she really wants to have those babies!

8. m.r.heavenlyhens

Jul 19, 2011
    We have 5 hens sitting right now and earlier in spring when 3 started sitting, it seemed like every time that we looked, the hens were gone or completely differeent hen was sitting there. My husband wanted to throw away the eggs figuring there was no way they would hatch and all three hens ended up hatching eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by