Need advice.

Lythy

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2015
So I have already 10 hybrid hens in a 6x6 coop and a run 18x6 inc coop floor. Now I remember reading on here before that a member had kept hens at 10sqft before and swears he never will again after seeing the difference.
I cannot find that post so I'm asking here what was the big difference. My hens seem happy enough no fighting etc. And laying well.
I'm about to complete a coop and run 30x6 for 3 jersey Giants but now I'm thinking perhaps the hybrids would be better in this. Do the jersey Giants need a lot more space than hybrids.

There are so many differences in our flock make-ups, climate, management techniques, goals, individual chicken’s personalities, set-ups, just everything is unique. You have to be very careful taking what one person says and relating that to your situation. The requirements for a flock of four hens all the same age are quite a bit different than for someone with a flock that contains several roosters, broody hens raising chicks with the flock, and/or always integrating new chickens. I suggest you follow the link in my signature below. It might help you understand better from my perspective.

I always advocate more room. I find I have fewer behavioral problems, have to work less hard, and have more flexibility dealing with problems when I have extra room. I also do not believe in magic numbers. Many people can get by quite well with less room than I think I need. Some people need more. It depends on their unique situation.

Thank you for such a speedy reply my wife thinks I should leave them alone they all seem very happy. I don't want to create 1 either. I'm lucky that all my hens get on and let me hold n stroke them.
I have made a large chicken swing for them they seem to love it.

Been so busy sorry will get some pics tomorrow of the swing. A few of my hens love it. Keeps them busy.

Back
Top Bottom