Need advice!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JessieSeneca, Jul 28, 2016.

1. JessieSeneca

JessieSeneca New Egg

Jul 28, 2016
    Started with 5 eggs in incubator. Candled on day 10, 2 good and removed 3 not growing. 1 hatched on day 21 but its now day 23 and nothing from other one. Should i leave it be until day 25 or call it now? A little background: this is my second hatching in my incubator, hatched 5 of 5 the first time. I have some kind of old hen i inherited from my mother in law that has tried unsuccessfully several times to hatch, for some reason even separated from the flock with a big roomy nest has managed to always break all the eggs. This hatch was going to go to her...

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I would candle the other egg ASAP and check for signs of life.

3. JessieSeneca

JessieSeneca New Egg

Jul 28, 2016
    I tried uploading a pic but can't figure it out. Anyway i just candled and i have what looks to be a good air pocket and the rest of the egg appears very dark. I don't see anything moving.

4. JessieSeneca

JessieSeneca New Egg

Jul 28, 2016
    I have a good air pocket with the rest of the egg being mostly dark. If i slowly turn the egg i can see veins.

5. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
  6. JessieSeneca

JessieSeneca New Egg

Jul 28, 2016
    Ok just did the float test and it was for sure a "low float" like maybe just the air pocket out of water! There may have been slight movement or maybe it was just my imagination because i want so bad for it to hatch! I was just reading that so have had healthy chicks hatch as late as 27-28. Should i just wait and see? My nerves can't handle this.lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by