Need advice.

JuJubeann

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2016
Georgia
Ordered eggs online and tomorrow will be 7 days in shipping. It appears that the eggs will be here on Tuesday but priority shipping is suppose to be faster than standard shipping and 7 days is standard shipping.

I know many people ship eggs and buy eggs online so I'm interested in knowing what you all consider fair in this. I know that eggs start losing eggs viability at 7 days. Shipping makes it worse. The postal service couldn't account for the eggs for 4 days and the weather has been very cold in the area the eggs are being shipped from. The eggs also set in the post office in NJ for 2 days. Then was in transit for over 4 days and they had no idea where they were.

My question is should I ask for the eggs to be reshipped? And should I have to return the eggs and pay for shipping? The seller has already told me that if the box is damaged I can return to sender and I won't have to pay for shipping. My problem is I've already paid for priority and I didn't get prioity. What do you guys think the right thing to do is?

You probably did get priority. Check the box when it comes. I sent eggs via priority mail to someone recently and they took 20 - you read that right, 20 - days to arrive. Luckily my buyer was able to put in a claim for them at that point and they got paid by the PO for them.

Your seller likely did send them priority and the PO has flubbed it up. That's not the seller's fault. If the box arrives and the eggs are damaged or you set them and none hatch, I think it would be fair to request a reshipment with you paying the shipping cost. That's what I would expect as a buyer and what I would offer as a seller in this situation.

Also it's actually ten days at which they start to lose viability, not seven, so if you were sent nice fresh eggs they will still be viable as long as they did not experience very rough shipping, which again would not be the seller's fault.

It was definitely sent priority and the PO didn't make shipment. I was saying I didn't receive priority from the PO. The PO told me 7 days was standard mail when I asked. If they don't hatch and and the eggs are re-shipped with me paying shipping I think that's fair.

Of course, I agree it's not the sellers fault that the PO didn't get them to me on time. But it's not my fault either and sharing in the responsibility is fair.

About the 7 days it just depends on the source you use. That's not the only thing that may be a problem for the eggs though. They've been in the cold for several days and the stress of extended shipping. I'm just worried about them but wanted to be fair. I've also been a seller myself and I know the rules for shipping. This is the first time I've had a problem with time sensitive items.

Thank you for posting and hopefully things will work out that way. It will certainly make me happy and I have no reason to think the seller won't be fair. Just wanted to find out what others think fair would be since this is a a bit different situation before I go to pick them up.

Unfortunately, I've ran into the same issue when getting a box of eggs... I did get them, 10 days late, and ended up with a single hatch, but when I contacted the PO about Priority not making it in the 2-3 days allotted, they informed me that unless the box was well over 2 weeks, damaged or never delivered then they honored their side and it isn't claimable... there isn't a 'guarantee' 2-3 days for Priority, it's just a 'it usually takes' that time...

As a seller as well, I would think it would be fair to do a reshipment for shipping cost, but try not to approach the seller with a demand or expectation type attitude... *not saying you would, just giving friendly warning* the flip side of that is many dishonest people try to finagle extra eggs out of sellers with sob stories... makes it unfair for others... :/

So sorry for your eggs and I hope you can get more if these don't hatch... also, it is 10 days before viability starts declining, but you want to ship eggs less than a week old due to shipping stress compounding the age and any other issues... :)

Last edited:
Thank you RayvenFallen, yes you are correct. I've already asked them what exactly did I pay for then if it's not a guarantee. They told me that it meant it was faster than standard and if I wanted a guarantee I should have had them sent express priority. lol So I asked what the time frame was on standard. But you're right I'll probably be told exactly what you said when I return. I receive another notice after they sent one saying they arrive in Macon. The new one said they have been delayed. Oh dear that's just what I didn't want to hear. Maybe it's a glitch and was suppose to come before the other one.

I've been told I need to work on the way I write by people who know me. (Blush) It's can read a little harsh sometimes but if you hear me say it it sounds different.

I see your point about people not being honest and I guess I'm just at the mercy of the seller. I ordered 2 sets of eggs thinking I could incubate them at the same time but one set didn't arrive. So I ordered another incubator. Now my poor little eggs...I'll just pray for my eggs and I'll be keeping them unless the box is crushed or something.

No worries... :D

Hope it all works out for you... I understand the excitement and the disappointments of shipped eggs all too well...

My eggs got here today. Never saw packaging this well done. The outside was marked extremely well with very visible instructions. No broken eggs either. Color of eggs was very pretty. They eggs were large and heavy. Candled the eggs and a few looks like they have started developing. Not sure how to handle those eggs except to acclimate and watch them closely. There was lots of extra eggs and you could tell she put a lot of time and care into packaging them. She had also put double the amount of eggs I ordered in there. I feel like she went above and beyond my expectations and it wouldn't be fair to ask for anything. The box was in perfect condition. I left good feedback for her as well and it was totally beyond her control with the shipping. If I get 1 eggs to hatch in this batch I'll be more than happy but if not I'll just search out some pullets. All the terrible images of my eggs have left my head and I feel calm now. Thank you for your replies.

Didn't you post on the Araucana thread? So these are Araucana eggs?

I think I might know who you got them from, lol... if I'm correct, they're the same source my start came from... :)

Yes, I did post on that thread. They are araucana eggs and now you know why I was spazzing. The already low hatch rate on shipped araucana eggs and then the post office. lol Also got some from out of Florida along with some cream legbars. Since ordering I've learned that I can expect 0 to hatch. At least that us what everyone tells me. But that's OK because you live you learn. Even so I would like to give them the best possible chance. I must say she has her packaging skills down to an art form.

Did you buy eggs or birds? How did they do?

Back
Top Bottom