NEED ADVICE!! :)

Chickenmama2525

Chirping
Nov 9, 2021
my absolute sweetie of a hen just lost the rest of her flock that shes had since birth! i dont want her to be lonely so i bought 3 new chicks from meyers hatchery, coming tuesday, whats the best way to introduce them, should i try my hand at getting her to partially care for them?

Set up a see-no-touch arrangement, and monitor reactions. Due to losing the rest of her flock she may be very receptive to accepting them as new flock mates if not as her own babies. If she tid bits them, she may want to be their mom. Let us know how it goes!

Set up a see-no-touch arrangement, and monitor reactions. Due to losing the rest of her flock she may be very receptive to accepting them as new flock mates if not as her own babies. If she tid bits them, she may want to be their mom. Let us know how it goes!
Thank you!! i will absolutely update how it goes! they're arriving Tuesday I'm so excited:fl

Are these older birds, or day old chicks? If they’re babies, there is a chance that she won’t want to mother them and may injure them instead. If it works in your coop, I’d section off part of it and brood them in there so she gets used to the idea of them being there. Then I would slowly and with supervision start introducing them. I would not just put them in with her and hope she’s lonely enough to want to be a mama.

Are these older birds, or day old chicks? If they’re babies, there is a chance that she won’t want to mother them and may injure them instead. If it works in your coop, I’d section off part of it and brood them in there so she gets used to the idea of them being there. Then I would slowly and with supervision start introducing them. I would not just put them in with her and hope she’s lonely enough to want to be a mama.
day old chicks, and of course! i would never just throw them in with her, i was thinking id do a slow introduction

I am currently using azygous method of integrating my new babies and older hens. Here is the link to the article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

This has been a game changer for both me and my birds. My babies moved out of my house and into the coop at 1 week. I created a see through divider so all the birds could watch each other. At 2-3 weeks I cut a hole in the doorway divider. My older ladies barely blinked with all these little babies running around. I did the same thing in the outdoor run using horse panel. Love it!!

Back
Top Bottom