Need Advice...........

cristina33

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
ma
I need some advice, I think my silkie flock has mareks. I cant sell anyone who makes it because that would be so WRONG. But I really want to have a healthy flock. Could I hatch babies and vacinate them would they be ok? Or is my yard contaminated forever? I am at a loss as what to do. Do ducks carry the virus or are they sellable?

Cristina

You didn't even mention what symptoms are present. I'd say you need to be sure what is going on before you make any decisions. Silkies, I believe, have a cranial defect, like Polish, and sometimes this causes neurological problems.

oh I am praying its something else but to be honest I think I am grabbing at straws. The chickens get weak lose the use of there legs get poopy bums and die within 3 days. The either end up doing the splits sideways or the legs go to one side. But in the end they die within 3 days of poopy bums and leg issues. I have lost almost 10 birds within the last 5 months.
sad.png

Just to verify send one for Necropsy. Some state universities do it for free. From what I understand Marek's is pretty much in the soil, it is spread by wild birds. If you have chickens they have it, they just don't have symptoms. It takes a week after vaccination for immunity to build up so if they were immunized and kept in the house for at least one week they would probably be ok. I woudn't sell survivors of your current flock though. If they do survive they can be kept though. I wouldn't kill them in other words.

I have a chicken that is having trouble walking so have done a little, and just a little, research on Marek's. Check on my info although I think it is correct. Trust but verify!

Back
Top Bottom