need advice

Victoria 1880

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 19, 2012
I am posting this again because I'm not sure if the first post was seen by anyone.

I need advice regarding 2 peafowl that are not mine but I have been trying to help them for close to a year now. First of all, I have to be careful not to loose my job....

They are somewhere between 6-10 years old and have only ever been fed turkey grower. Last Sept after a couple of months of (me) complaining, the owner agreed to change the feed to wild game grower, which is the best we can get here. These birds get no greens, no grit, nothing. Fresh water is not always provided either. I am constantly arguing with the powers that be.

The peafowl have been very listless for several months now. The coop door is open all winter allowing cold air to blow in, from what I am able to see there is a little hay for bedding. I think this was corrected last week after I complained again.

They saw the vet in July 2012 and I was told by the owner that the vet was pleased with their condition.

A few weeks ago I started taking food to them, lettuce, sunflower seeds, celery, banana's. It wasn't long before they recognized my voice and came running out of the coop for their snack. Sadly, I have been told not to feed them as I may be harming them (since I am not a peacock expert). It concerns me that I may be blamed for their condition.

Here are some pictures I took of them last week. The male looks the worse. He has no 'crown' and the top of his head is bald. You will notice he looks burnt. Apparently this was caused by a hot lightbulb ( hanging without a protector) and during the cold spell a while back the peacock scorched his feathers trying to stay warm. I can't tell if they have parasites. But I do know they have never been dewormed or de-liced.

I am hoping to get some useful advice that I can take back to the owner.

Thanks.

I am posting this again because I'm not sure if the first post was seen by anyone.

I need advice regarding 2 peafowl that are not mine but I have been trying to help them for close to a year now. First of all, I have to be careful not to loose my job....

They are somewhere between 6-10 years old and have only ever been fed turkey grower. Last Sept after a couple of months of (me) complaining, the owner agreed to change the feed to wild game grower, which is the best we can get here. These birds get no greens, no grit, nothing. Fresh water is not always provided either. I am constantly arguing with the powers that be.

The peafowl have been very listless for several months now. The coop door is open all winter allowing cold air to blow in, from what I am able to see there is a little hay for bedding. I think this was corrected last week after I complained again.

They saw the vet in July 2012 and I was told by the owner that the vet was pleased with their condition.

A few weeks ago I started taking food to them, lettuce, sunflower seeds, celery, banana's. It wasn't long before they recognized my voice and came running out of the coop for their snack. Sadly, I have been told not to feed them as I may be harming them (since I am not a peacock expert). It concerns me that I may be blamed for their condition.

Here are some pictures I took of them last week. The male looks the worse. He has no 'crown' and the top of his head is bald. You will notice he looks burnt. Apparently this was caused by a hot lightbulb ( hanging without a protector) and during the cold spell a while back the peacock scorched his feathers trying to stay warm. I can't tell if they have parasites. But I do know they have never been dewormed or de-liced.

................................................snip............................................................

I am hoping to get some useful advice that I can take back to the owner.

Thanks.

I think you already know the answer... If they were mine, and they were not molting, I would worm them with Safeguard Liquid or Safeguard/Panacur Paste (fenbendazole 100mg/ml or 100/mg/gram) at 50mg/kg once by mouth and repeat in ten days. I'd also treat them for lice/mites with poultry dust and spray their coop with Sevin.

Last edited:
Do these birds belong to your boss? Why are you around them? Maybe you could sneak some wormer on bread for them.

Yes they belong to my boss. Its hard for me to explain, I go for walks.....I usually have a pocket full of sunflower seeds or something to toss in the pen.

So I can put the wormer on bread? I was going to ask because these birds have never been handled. What about the poultry dust, does that have to be put on directly or will they dust themselves if they have a 'dusting area' in the pen? I am going to take all the information I recieve here and ask for a meeting with the owner...I would look after them myself, without pay, if he will let me.

I have a couple of peafowl myself, they are the offspring of these two. I am so new to all of this but I took the advice I got on this forum and from the local feed store and my birds are beautiful and (I assume) healthy.

I thank you all for your help, I am sick about this.

I would do Ivermectin pour on for cattle. If the birds have lice or mites this will kills them as well. Put 1/2cc injected into a grape or onto piece of bread for each bird. I do not know what the dose is for injecting safeguard into those items so I would go with Ivermectin. Unfortunately you stated you cannot catch them to weigh them. The only dose I know for safe guard is 3cc/ml per gallon of water for 3 days mixing a fresh batch each day. So if you can give the birds water then mix the safe guard in an empty gallon jug and bring it over to them making sure it is the only water source, if not then go with the Ivermectin. I use bulbs and have 40 peas and none ever burnt themselves to that extreme and I doubt they would either. It looks like there is some kind of white powder on the male's head, like lime or something. Cause you can see the white on the neck feathers too.

Last edited:
I think it would be better to leave other people's animals alone, especially when they are your boss. While your heart is in the right place, it sounds as if your help is not wanted or appreciated. If the animals have food water and shelter I don't think the humane society will do anything either. Just my thoughts. You, on the other hand, could get into real trouble for tampering with his animals after being told not too.

If you do think there is neglect and abuse, the humane society or animal control anonymously is the way to go.

I am not trying to sound like a jerk- I've had to watch neighbors horses Heath deteriorate, when I could do nothing- it sucks- I just don't want to see anyone who is trying to care for animals get in trouble for being kind.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give you all an update....things are improving! The birds have recently been de-wormed and their diet is much better. The male is looking better although he has a way to go yet. A new coop is in the works and I have been asked to find plans/dimensions...so I have been checking around the internet for ideas.
Thanks so much for all of your help, and Christabelle, I did back off after reading your post, it was a hard thing to do. Gradually I was asked for advice, just a few questions here and there....we are now working together and the peacocks are doing so much better. This site/forum is the best!
I will post some new pictures when I get the chance.
Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom